We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waihee Ridge Trail

Toronto
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Waihee Ridge Trail

If we go to Kahului and then Hwy 340 to Waihee Ridge Trail we wouldn't encounter any of the treacherous part of Hwy 340, correct? And we can head straight back to Kahului afterwards, correctomundo? Can you tell Hwy 340 makes us a little nervous? :-)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

The last part of 340 before you get to the Waihee Ridge trail road has some curves, but it's two lane, paved and in excellent condition up to that point ... just need to keep an eye on the road and not drive too fast. The 'scary part' starts after the cut off for Waihee Ridge. When you see the Mendes Ranch sign http://goo.gl/maps/J6fKR get ready to turn left as the road to the trail is just past that sign.

Here's the road leading up to the trailhead parking lot (that road is about a mile long, so be sure to drive up it to the parking area. http://goo.gl/maps/roC5A If you go past those two signs on the right - Blue one with emergency call box, and white one that says "End State Highway", you've gone too far.

Enjoy!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

Correctomundo LOL. And I don't blame you. I won't go near that road either. I am not a fan of cliffs/heights.

Have fun!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

Just a clarification re my post above where I said, <<If you go past those two signs on the right - Blue one with emergency call box, and white one that says "End State Highway", you've gone too far.>> That applies to when you are turning left from 340 onto the Waihee Ridge trail road. I think it's a bit confusing how I wrote it above as I put it after the part about driving up the road to the trailhead.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,957 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

When you click on Susan's links, you will actually see the center yellow lines on the road stop. THAT is the end of the "good" highway. So as long as you slow down when you see the Mendes Ranch, you shouldn't miss that turn. And believe me, it is easy to miss that left turn! We blew right by it and found ourselves on the narrow road. We had to back up, and I was a nervous wreck that someone was going to come around the corner and rear end us!

It's a wonderful hike. I hope you make it out there.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

What is the condition of the road after you make the turn onto the Waihee Ridge road? It looks narrow. If you meet up with another car on that road are you able to pass ok?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,957 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

We never saw a car at all, until we got the parking lot. We got there early in the morning though. It isn't that long at all to the parking area. I honestly don't remember about the width of the road. I don't remember being concerned about it.

Have you ever gone up to the Lavender Farm upcountry? I found their "driveway" VERY narrow, and we did indeed have to back up there when a car was coming down.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

No, I haven't been to the Lavender Farm yet. I was planning on going there in May.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

nursear - the road is paved, but narrow. I don't remember passing any other cars coming in the opposite direction, but it shouldn't be a problem ... at worst you might have to pull slightly off the road onto the shoulder to let another car pass.

Toronto
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

Thanks for the replies!

10. Re: Waihee Ridge Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:17