We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

San Marcos...
5 posts
Save Topic
Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

We are looking for a place on the water with some privacy, but close enought to walk to shops and restaurants. We were told that Maui would be the best Island for that. And some said the Big Island is good too. Any opinions on which Island and town/city is best for that?

Thanks

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

Maui has a lot more accommodations that are on swimmable beaches (many with good snorkellng as well), and many of those places are within walking distance to shops/restaurants. South or West Maui would work.

The Big Island has ocean view accommodations in Kailua Kona, most of which aren't on swimmable beaches, but instead on rocky shoreline. Accommodations close to downtown Kailua Kona would be walkable. to shops/restaurants. Further north, the S. Kohala Coast has nice swimming/snorkelling beaches (this is where you want to be if beaches are a priority) ... but accommodations there are higher priced for ocean views, and there are a lot of condos in the S. Kohala coast resorts that aren't ocean view. The Big Island forum has good information under the Top Questions on Staying in Kailua Kona vs. Kohala Coast ... worth reading if you are considering the BI for your vacation.

I think Maui sounds more like what you are looking for but you would probably enjoy either island....if you want specific recommendations for accommodations, please let us know your approximate nightly budget, what time of year and whether you're looking for a condo or hotel. Also, how long of a stay and will you be doing day trips to explore more of the island with a rental car?

Edited: 13 March 2014, 19:50
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

What do you mean by "privacy"?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

Aloha,

Have you read any guide books yet? Lonely Planet, Moon books, Insight Guide, etc.

The Top Questions can help as well.

Aloha

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

By 'privacy' I envisioned something like the place we stay at ... lanai's that overlook the water without much in between ... i.e. no other lanais (and people on them) to look at, no pool right in front, no crowded beaches between your lanai and the ocean.... but yes, please let us know the answer to Bob's question as you might have something more secluded in mind.

San Marcos...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

I probably used the wrong word in "privacy". We want to stay in a resort. But one that has it's own beach and is not in an overly crowded area - like Kahului. And somewhere there are a handful of restaurants and some shops close by - like within a 10 minute walk....... Also, I can't seem to find any all-inclusive deals in Hawaii. Do they even exist? ......Thanks for the responses.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

In west Maui, the resort on the best beach is the Sheraton. In south Maui, any of the several resorts on Wailea Beach are on a good beach. All of these would fit your criteria.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

Only place I know of that is all-inclusive in Hawaii is either Kona Village on the BI (is it still there??) or Travaasa Hana.....

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,691 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

Aloha,

No, Hawaii is not an all-inclusive type of destination. Perhaps one hotel is similar. (in Hana)

Welcome to TA.

Aloha

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

<<one that has it's own beach>>

There are hotels by beaches, but all beaches are public.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best for shops and restaurants without giving up privacy

Yes, good point ---there are by law no private beaches in Hawaii.