We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Topic
Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

I haven't been on a plane since 2002 and I hear there's been a few changes. I'm going to reserve my seat to Maui, and it sounds like exit rows are all good because of the extra legroom. I've also read that the view is compromised as well though because you're right over the wing. I think I'd take xtra legroom over view though. I've also read that the seat cushions are short there, and the armrest doesn't move. Are these dealbreakers?. Does anyone have any experience with exit row seating on this flight? I have checked Seatguru, and they say that generally its good.

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

We sat in the exit row flying from Maui to LA last time leaving Maui at 10 pm. I wouldn't do it again. Not only were there the issues you mentioned, but the also the seats don't recline in the exit row.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

On my lfight it says that exit row 13 has seats that do not recline, but exit row 14 has seats that do, and its great because the seat in front doesn't.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

as long as it inclines I would go for it. I personally like exit rows for the leg room. I hate being cramped in my seat

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
36,424 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

Now, we have not flown Westjet, and different airlines can configure things differently, but if flying E/E+, and not FC, we opt for the Exit Row seats. We have flown on 738's on SW airlines, and on the 739's on UA, and have flown Exit Rows, on shorter flights. No complaints.

As for the view, there is not much to see, after takeoff, until the last 15 mins. of landing. I would not worry about that.

Travel safely,

Hunt

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

And I hate it when the seat in front of me reclines

Remember the golden rule, Barb8571 . ;-)

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

We had exit row with westjet a couple of years ago. Hubby loved the extra leg room. However, the seats did not recline and the arm rest on the window seat (my choice) was shorter. I'm short so leg room is no big deal for me. I would have preferred a regular row. Hubby was happy though.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

Row 14 looks like your best bet if you are paying for an exit row seat.

If I don't book an exit row, I choose an aisle seat (actually we both choose aisle seats across from each other, rather than one of us being stuck in a middle seat.)

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

Thanks for info. Also, when leaving out of YVR in the morning, which side of the plane will get the sun? I'd prefer to be on the non sunny side.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

Because the sun is still coming up from the east, and you are heading in a direction from northeast to southwest, the left side will get the sun, so you'll want to sit on the right side.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Westjet 737-800 Exit Row question

Ok, I've figured it out. As we leave outbound to Maui, the sun will be low in the sky and will be behind us, so it won't really matter. As we come back from Maui to YVR, we will be flying into the sun, but only for 3 hours though so its not a big deal. I've reserved window seat exit row on the right side going, and window seat exit row on the left side coming back. Yay~!