We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for a dive shop?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for a dive shop?

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Maui for the first time in April and are looking for a good dive shop. We are both experienced divers and perfer to be in small groups without snorklers etc. if possible. We like the family feel versus cattle call.

We're staying at Aston Mahana, so close to Lahaina, but the only recommended dive shop I could find there is Lahaina Divers and I've heard they have short dive times because the whole group has to go up with the first diver to get low on air. I know there are other providers around there that offer shore dives, but we prefer boat dives.

Can anyone recommend a great dive shop? Closer is better due to the typical early mornings, but we're flexible.

I knwo Maui Dive Shop has some afternoon departures, but they seem more cattle-call style to me. Any thoughts on them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

I have been looking a bit into this as well (and going to Maui for the first time in April too!) and we are pretty set on doing a day trip with Extended Horizons to dive Lanai. They are doing the trip out of Lahaina as well so that may be an option for you? They have great reviews on TA and have a facebook page too

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

It's been about 14 years, since I went diving in Hawaii, but we were with Lahaina Divers and I WAS the first diver up (they call me a hoover), and they certainly did not cut off everyone else's dive. The other dive shop we went with was Maui Divers. If you check their schedule, they have some trips that are divers only, on a smaller boat.

new york
Level Contributor
59 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

Candace,

There is a groupon for a dive shop name never dry, and they have great reviews in tripadvisors. I bought one and I am already booked with them for my April trip. They have been very responsive on my emails.

Although the group seems like it's gear towards discover scuba, however, certified divers will get two shore dives.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 01:34
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

I dive mostly south these days but have had many good trips with Extended Horizons

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,499 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

Extended Horizons is good. Lahaina Divers has some experienced only dives, too.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

Thanks all. I will follow up with Lahaina Divers on bottom time and look into Extended Horizons.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

I would stay away from afternoon dives. You can get beat up by the winds. It is a bit of a drive. But you can also go to Molokini out of the Kihei boat ramp. Different diving than Lanai. Lanai is more about the geological formations such as Cathedrals One and Two.

Molokini is about visibility usually 150 ft. A lot of drift diving, big animals, sharks, rays, dolphins. There is the back wall which is pretty spectacular.

The 2nd dive is usually a drift drift along the south coast, sharks, rays, turtles, small caves. We have even seen a monk seal there a couple of times. You can get an hour + bottom time as it is a great shallow dive.I have used Prodiver for 20 years, 6 pax usually only experienced divers

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

I have been diving for more than 40 years and always trying to find the best diving outfit, especially if I am flying from Boston to go diving. After checking around, I found Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures in Kihei. Without question it was one of the most professional run dive outfits I have gone diving with. Most of the people have been with the company for many years, the service which included setting up your equipment, changing your tanks, excellent snacks, fruit and lunch was excellent. They also offered different dive trips for different skill levels, which meant it was unlikely that your buddy didn't drain their tank while you still had 2,500 psi in yours. Even though it was a 50 minute drive from my hotel to the boat ramp, it was definitely worth the trip.

Jim

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

I have been with Ed Robinson, Prodiver Maui and Mike Severns. Any of the 3 would be good. These 3 try to match skill levels and dive choices. I have just settled on Prodiver as they only take 6 divers, get out early and we have become friends over the years

10. Re: Recommendation for a dive shop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:50