We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused on Luaus

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
confused on Luaus

Okay, from what I'm gathering, there are 3 different Luau

Old Lahaina Luau

Feast at lele

Royal Lahaina Luau

Royal Lahaina is the cheapest, then Old Lahaina, with Feast at lele the most expensive.

Feast at Lele more intimate, you are at your own table and the serve you, the other two are buffets and you are seated with others

do I have this information correct so far?

I thought I read somewhere that one of them did not have fire dancers, which would this be? My husband wants the fire dancers.

What else would be the difference?

It seems like there are as many people liking the Old Lahaina and Feast at lele with Royal Lahaina being the cheesy one?

Opinions and suggestions, especially from those who have done more than one.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused on Luaus

OLL does not have the fire dancer. That is Samoan. The OLL is all about being Hawaiian.

You have done well! You got it right. I don't know if the Royal Lahaina Luau is "cheesy", but the one at the Sheraton sure is!

The OLL is reserved seating as well. Not sure about the Royal Lahaina one again... At the Sheraton, people were lining up an hour in advance, just to get a good seat. And if you wanted the table right at the front, you had to pay more per person.

A suggestion... go for a walk along the boardwalk on Ka'anapali Beach on the nights that the Sheraton has their luau. You husband can watch the fire dancer from the beach for free. And you can watch the guy light the torches on Black Rock, and then dive into the water.

And then go enjoy the OLL or the Feast! Actually, the Feast has a fire dancer! Just go there. But understand that the Feast is more of a Polynesian Review, not a true luau.

EDIT: a true luau would be in someone's back yard with close friends and family!

Edited: 15 March 2014, 04:24
Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused on Luaus

what do you mean by a Polynesian Review?

sorry if I sound like I don't know any, but I don't LOL. Since we only have time for one Luau I'd like to experience the one we'd enjoy the most!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused on Luaus

At the Feast, you are given four courses, from four different island groups. The entertainment you see, reflects what you are eating at that particular time. So the eating and the performances are sort of done together.

At a luau, there is the ceremony when the pig is taken out of the oven, the imu. And then it is taken away and carved up for our consumption! You are sitting a table with other people at the table, and it is a buffet. So you must wait for your turn to go up. It wasn't long at the OLL, and they are super organized with this part of the evening.

After everyone is finished eating, they start the show. It is story at the OLL, telling you about the history of the Hawaiian islands.

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confused on Luaus

Okay, I think we would like the OLL better. Thank you for all your help.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused on Luaus

We did drums of the Pacific last night and it was very good. Kids enjoyed fire dancers.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused on Luaus

PASue, are you staying in West Maui? I can never remember where everybody is located! You can take the bus into Lahaina, $2.00 each, no transfers allowed, $4.00 for a day pass. Then use a taxi cab for the ride home. There will be some out front after the show. Then everyone can enjoy their drinks without worrying about having a designated driver. It's worth every penny!

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confused on Luaus

My daughter and her husband are not going so they could take us and pick us up, or my husband does not drink at all, or very very little because he is a diabetic, but thanks for the option.

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: confused on Luaus

Mookster, don't confuse me with another one!! LOL what is the difference here?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: confused on Luaus

One last thing... the sooner you book the OLL, the better the seat will be.

Someone was asking for a critique of their itinerary on TA just yesterday. They are going in April. They had one night for the OLL and I mentioned phoning them asap to get their tickets. And she had to change their itinerary. There was only ONE night that they had any seats left to accommodate her group during their holiday.

Phoning is also a good idea, because they won't charge your credit card until you get there. Do it online, and it is charged immediately.

Have a wonderful time, whichever one you decide on!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: confused on Luaus

Ive chosen for OLL mostly because we don't like fish and rather would like to try different things from a buffet.