We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

saskatoon
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

So far we've seen 'tons' of whales from the beaches, and hope to take a whale tour boat sometime next week. Would love to see some sea turtles. Any suggestions as to area/beaches that would be a good bet to see turtles? And dolphins if they are around?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,100 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

S turns park up in West Maui for the turtles.

Ulua Beach in South Maui often has them bobbing around too.

Are you wanting to see them snorkeling, or from shore?

Dolphins are more hit and miss. They can be seen on Lanai, if you do a tour over there. They weren't around the day we went over though.

Please remind us where you are staying again!

Oh, and Black Rock too, they have turtles around there too.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

Maluaka in south Maui, as well as Makena Landing. I even saw a sea turtle swim past while playing in the waves at Wailea Beach a few days ago. Napili Point, Black Rock, etc...

saskatoon
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

Thanks for the quick replies! Looks like there's lots of places for turtles, we just haven't seen them yet. Joan, we're staying by Kamaole II but willing to take a road trip to check out different beaches. We're not much into snorkeling so would be nice to see turtles from the beach or on a boat tour.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

I have never seen dolphins myself on any of my Maui trips, but for turtles I highly recommend Hookipa beach just past Paia. There were a ton of turtle spotted from the beach you can actually see them in the waves/water. Also fun to watch the surfers and kiteboarders.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,100 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

Walk over to the Kihei Boat Ramp, and to the south, find the trail along the coast. You will come out at the Kihei Surfside, and you will be on a huge green lawn. Keep walking along the rocky shoreline there, staying up on the grass. We often watched the turtles right there. If you continue along the grass, and to the other side of the Surfside building, you will see the Mana Kai resort. Other side of that is Keawakapu Beach. Never see many turtles there, but if you keep walking south, you will eventually get to Ulua Beach. Turtles will hopefully be there.

Another good place is Mala Wharf. It's behind the Cannery Mall in Lahaina. It isn't a nice place to hang out or have a picnic by any means, but they are often there, as they eat the stuff around the old wharf.

NOTE: That big green park beside the Surfside, does NOT belong to the Surfside, although they participate in the upkeep. So you and kids and dogs are welcome to be there and enjoy it.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

There are lava outcroppings at the south end of Kamaole Beach lll, turtles like to hang out there to eat.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,100 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

Actually Marilyn, you'd be walking right by the end of the Kam III beach on the way to the Kihei Boat Ramp.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

I have only seen dolphins on both helicopter tours to Molokai, from the air. But it was spectacular and a huge group of 50 the first time, not so many the second. You might get lucky on your whale watch tour to have dolphins sprinkled in somewhere. Deb

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

I've only seen dolphins while on the water just offshore Kauai at Hanalei Bay.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 01:21
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can we see turtles and dolphins?

As Joan indicated, a Lana'i "dolphin tour" usually offers the best expectation of spotting dolphins. We encounter them occasionally on whale watches, though this year I only saw bottlenose, not spinners, in the two weeks I went out.