We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
398 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

Hello,

We are visiting Maui in July this year and would like to take our boys (ages 4 and 6) to hopefully see some big waves/surfers at Jaws. I was wondering if there is a particular day of the week/time of day that is best to go. Also, any other tips you can share like how much time to allot to this and any good places to stop along the way (Paia? Restaurants? etc.?)

Thank you!!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

The big Waves at Jaws and the surfers riding them are in the winter months not the summer months.

In Paia there several good restaurants we always eat at Flatbread Company good wood fired pizzas and salads with local ingredients when possible.

A couple other places mentioned on here a lot are Paia Fish Market and Charley's.

As far as shops I like Maui Hands Gallery and Maui Crafts Guild for items made by local artists.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,065 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

Also be aware, that although Jaws is public...the way to get there is over private land. Although people still go there, sometimes it isn't a friendly place to go. During the big waves this winter, suffers/locals were a bit frustrated with the traffic/parking which made it difficult for them to get there.

UNCMOM is right that the big waves are in the winter. You will still be able to see people out in the smaller surf. Go to Ho'okipa which is in the same area. Public parking, you don't have to cross private property and you can watch surfers, wind surfers and kite surfers from there.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

One of my young travel companions wanted to go there last year but we talked him out of it after reading the description of the road and then the car rental contract. I think your kids would be thrilled enough with Ho'okipa, which has much better access. Take binoculars.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

I agree with all suggestions to stick with Ho'okipa. Especially is the waves are fantastic cause the parking should be for the surfers, not the watchers. JMHO ......and possible trespassing would make me uncomfortable. You will be thrilled at his gorgeous the views are at Ho'okipa.

Stopping in Pa'ia for food and some shopping is always fun. It does not have to be expensive. Two of my fav lightweight sweaters were only $16.95 in sale, very hip and every time I wear them I think of that cool town. We always enjoy Charley's and if you do not care about paying a small amount for parking, there is a big parking lot behind Charleys and the easiest parking ever. Pa'ia Fish Market is another do not miss! UNCMom's recc's of Maui Hands and Maui Arts Guild are my favorites for local art, at price points high to low and massive variety. Deb

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
398 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

Thank you all for the recommendations on Ho'okipa! I will look into that. I appreciate the help. :)

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

My daughter calls Ho'okipa her favorite place on earth - it's a wonderful place to visit.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

The trade winds blow their strongest during the summer months so the kite/wind surfers at Hookipa should be awesome!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

I want to chime in and agree with all the great suggestions for Ho'okipa and Paia town! We really love both Ho'okipa & Paia and make it a point to stop and watch the surfers and windsurfers every trip from there. We have gotten some fabulous photos from the parking lot on the point overlooking Ho'okipa. The turnout will be on your left, "makai", pretty soon after you see the turnout for Mama's Fish House.

Paia Fish Market & Flatbread Company are 2 of our VERY favorite meals on Maui, and 2 of the least expensive! DOUBLE good! We want to try Charley's next trip, as we hear it is also very good. Ono Gelato in Paia is an additional great stop, and an easy stroll from all the above cafes. Oh! And the recommendations for Maui Hands and Maui Crafts Guild are superb as well! We really make it a point to buy locally made items while on Maui, and both these places are wonderful to browse and find something very special to take home.

Happy planning!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
528 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

We loved Ho'okipa Beach! We were there in November. The waves were huge and there were plenty of surfers out there riding them.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
398 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a good time of day/the week to go to Jaws?

Thanks again everyone! I think I read Paia can get very crowded, is it best to try to get to a restaurant right when it opens, (at 11am???) to assure parking? Also, are you more likely to see good surfing in the mornings (before lunch) or afternoons (after lunch)?