We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

Toronto
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

We're (2 couples, 2 cars) flying out of OGG in a couple of days at 8:30 pm. Our tentative plan was to go to the airport by noon and check in our luggage and get boarding passes. Then leave and take back one of the rental cars. Then we plan on going to Paia & Hookipa for a few hours and then maybe Kahalui for a bit. Then take back the other rental car and get to the airport with our carry ons about 6:30. Questions:

1. Will this plan work?

2. Would using a porter in this situation be a benefit? If so, never having used a porter how exactly does that work and how much should you tip? If two couples with 4 checked bags can we use 1 porter or would we need 2?

3. If this plan isn't the best what would you suggest to maximize our time?

4. Any issues bringing some leftover pizza with us on the plane (we plan on making one last stop at Flatbread in Paia - so good!). :-)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,369 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

Ask your airline about this plan. Make sure their counters are open at noon to take your luggage. I don't know about the pizza, but airline should know the TSA rules. You'll put your bags through the Agricultural screening so you will have to place them on the conveyor belt, take them off, then bring them to the counter. A porter would do that for you, as well as lift them out of your car. One porter can handle four bags. Ten dollars would be fair. I would also BE THERE two hours ahead of departure to make sure you get through the inspection line. (It was long and slow when we came home March 3.)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,186 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

Which airline are you flying with? Air Canada and WestJet were never at the airport that early for us. We couldn't check our luggage early even if we wanted to.

And YES, porters are great. If you are flying into the States, you have to deal with the AG check first, and the porters take care of that process as well.

Toronto
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

We're flying United Airlines to L.A.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

Re #4 - there is a final checkpoint prior to going to your gate, where they'll ask about food items in your carry on (they also do a scan of your bags) - certain fruits and vegetables aren't allowed, but I think it's just fresh ones, so you should be OK with pizza - other than the sodium issue and needing a gallon of water to drink on the flight :) ... but I agree, Flatbread pizza is very good!

Edited: 16 March 2014, 16:11
lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

The United website reads: "baggage will generally not be accepted for check-in more than four hours before scheduled flight departure, although this policy varies by airport and based on daily check-in counter hours."

I would call the airport desk or even drop by and speak to a porter and ask exactly how early you can drop your bags off....

Guess that I am a softie... I tip the porters $5 for EACH bag checked... I even tip the shuttle drivers a couple of bucks if they help move any of my heavy bags on and off of the shuttle.... but they usually work hard to be helpful.

Think that pizza should be fine..... It will have to go through the screening, so you should have it packaged. I have carried deli sandwiches, Leonard's donuts, cookies and even box lunches in the containers through check in....

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,186 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

I know you can't take peanut butter sandwiches through TSA at OGG! And make sure your ice pack is still frozen. If it is thawed, they will take that away from you too.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,270 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

We had to eat or pitch our cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks and bananas (we had time to eat them) ... took the turkey lunchmeat sandwiches through, but I was keeping my fingers crossed that the avocado slices on them didn't get detected (they made it through).

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

If you're going to take your bags to the airport early make sure all of your valuables are with you. Less likely they will have a anything missing from them!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
845 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

My airline (Delta) refuses to check bags any earlier than four hours before flight departure times. I have always used a porter at OGG because they really are worth it at this airport. The time they save you is immense. For just my husband and myself we at least tip ten dollars for two bags, and when our children come with us we tip at least twenty.

I've never been allowed to take food on the plane in Maui unless it was purchased after the security checkpoint inside the airport at one of the food service places they have in the middle area where you go to your gate.

I travel back and forth to Maui often - at least once a year for the past fifteen/sixteen years and this has always been the way.

The way we work around this is we either purchase an extra night at our place of lodging for the day we depart Maui so that we can use our room and the property and shower and pack and leave around 7pm for the airport for a late flight. Or we book a flight that departs in the afternoon.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 17:29
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice Needed on Flying Out of OGG

Yep, 4 hours is usually the earliest you can drop bags off at the airport. We did that once and then took a leisurely tour of the upcountry area of Maui. Do make sure your bags go through ag inspection.