We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

Aloha Forum Readers,

Thank you for the positive feedback to Parts 1, 2 & 3.

For those interested in the cottage near Hana it is VRBO listing # 257897 Nahiku Plantation Cottage. There is also a self contained studio unit on the property. Both very well priced and private. There is also a seasonal waterfall just off the side yard of the 1 bdrm. Surprisingly, though it was dry as a bone for our visit. The pictures on the listing are very accurate and the owner is super easy to deal with.

My sister makes a good travel buddy even though we are 10 years apart and quite different in many ways. It took me several years to talk her into coming out west (she lives in Ontario) to ski with me but since we are both Maui freaks now I wonder whether we'll ever ski again! She appreciates that I have the time to dream up itineraries for us and apart from the horrified look and a few choice swear words when we ended up on the backside road, we enjoy the same things. Somehow we never argue or get on each other's nerves, a small miracle as stubbornness runs in the family.

It's Sunday morning and we both have headaches from the night before. Oh, one thing I forgot about the previous day was that we had time once we got to Kaanapali for a nosh at the Hula Grill Beach Bar before boarding Gemini. For the life of me I can't remember what either of us ate, but whatever it was we enjoyed it and that's where the mai tais started. Hmmm maybe starting to drink at 230 in the afternoon might be the reason my head hurts. Ya think?

PS Joan - I haven't a clue how much the mai tais were at KBH. In fact when it came to tallying everything at the end of the week we weren't too sure who paid the bill or how much it was.

Best quick cure I could think of was getting my head underwater so we spent 45 mins or so in the Pioneer Inn's pool. Clean & refreshing. After a quick shower we headed out the door to Koa's for breakfast. We were seated at seaside table and marvelled at the lovely sunny day and the big fat fish hanging around for handouts. Service was quick and friendly and we felt almost as good as new after eating. My sister had a giant omelet of some sort and I went for the fried rice and eggs. I spent the rest of our holiday craving that fried rice, it's so darned good.

Spent the next couple of hours meandering around Lahaina shops and were back at the hotel by noon to check out. Drove to Kihei with the top down and Cat Stevens on the stereo.

As luck would have it our condo was clean and ready for us when we got there, so we happily unpacked (yeah - no more digging around in suitcases), had a swim and made a shopping list. There was an invite to a Potluck Pupu party at sunset for the following evening posted on our door when we came back from the beach, so we needed to figure out something easy to bring to that as well.

We headed out along S Kihei Rd & stopped at Yee's for a couple of exquisitely tasty mangos, a papaya, a pineapple and more avocados before stopping into Hawaiian Moons. (same plaza as Snorkel Bobs, near Kam III) They carry Vegenaise and I wanted to use it for a no cholesterol ranch dressing. We love our ranch dressing.

Hawaiian Moons is a health food store with local/organic produce & meats, a very nice by the pound salad bar, small hot food bar (meat and vegetarian) and a good selection of grocery items. Not cheap, but excellent quality.

After a quick stop into Safeway we went back to the condo to unload and headed right back out again to Kahului. Why you ask? To return the convertible and pick up our el cheapo midsize for the week. Was it a hassle? Well no not really, took all of 10 mins and saved us a small fortune. The convertible for all 11 days was going to run us over 700 CDN (choke) so our compromise was to get the convertible for the road trip (4 days was 297 US all in) and get something smaller for kicking around in the rest of the time. We ended up with a pretty new Chevy Cruze 4 dr with a big trunk for a measly 147 for the wk including taxes/fees & second driver. Both booked through Alamo/DHRC after monitoring prices for months on end. We had the convertible for the tail end of Pres Week so the price never dropped.

Since we were in Kahului anyway, we did our Costco stop. For CDN readers, did you know you can purchase Costco gift cards with Aeroplan points? We picked up some nice wine Pioully Fuse (sp??) for 19 bucks - hello and a monster Kirkland premix margarita (returned for more later in the week - man it's delish). Lord, I'm making us out to be a couple of lushes! I assure you we're not but we do enjoy a libation on vacation.

They were demoing some fresh chicken taquito things that were perfectly edible and made for easy pupus with some homemade guacamole for the sunset party the following day.

Back at the condo, I made Thai coconut chicken stir fry with basmati for dinner and we nodded off pretty early.

The pullout was lousy. Argh. I had to put the mattress on the floor and add a blanket to the top. Even then it was marginal. I think all condo owners should be required to sleep on their own pullouts for a week and see how they like it.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

Enjoyed all the "fill in" information. Some helpful tips for folks making notes on their up coming trips. Hawaiian Moons is a nice small health food/deli store. It often gets over looks and not mentioned enough.

Glad the cool clean pool dip helped to clear your head so you could enjoy the day.

The Thai Coconut chicken sounds tasty..yum. you need to share that recipe please.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

Aha! Left out the Hula Grill part, eh?!! :) Again, a very nice read with places and details not often mentioned. Agree about the condo pullouts.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

I just laughed out loud at a couple passages and that was great! So wonderful that you can travel with your sister and make memories. I love that you thought out of the box to get what you wanted, with the convertible.......we call it splurge and save. We need both and by doing one, we get the other. I say do what makes you happy on your vacation. Thanks for the reports and I hope there are more. Deb

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

That was great with some pretty funny passages nothing wrong with cutting loose a little on vacation shoot the first thing my husband makes sure we stop for is beer.

Where did you stay at in kihei?

Glad you and your sister had such a great trip will it be the both of you again next year?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,093 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

Glad for a cloudy grey day here, so you could get back to the trip reports. You never disappoint!

Chuckled about the hangovers. Dave actually experienced the one hangover of his life while on Maui, and it was from Costco's Margarita bottle! It goes down waaaay too easily, and yes, VERY delish.

Thanks for another great report.

Level Contributor
36,976 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

Great report, thanks! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

I love the fresh fruit at Yee's. Thanks for another great report, sound like a wonderful time!!

8. Re: TR Part 4 and a couple of answers/comments to previous posts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 05:18