We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trilogy sail

New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trilogy sail

Anyone ever taken the 1:30pm whale watching sail? I had heard early morning was better than later in the day for whale watching? If we go on this we won't be taking it until April 17.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trilogy sail

The reason early morning is often recommended is because typically the wind picks up through the day. But it could very well be fine. Was that your concern? Because you cannot predict when you might see more whales or when they might be more active. Just enjoy the trip whenever you go out. Great ride, beautiful scenery.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trilogy sail

Almostgrownup is exactly right. I see plenty of happy people taking the afternoon watches as well.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trilogy sail

Wendy -- that is the very, very end of the whale watch sails. Whatever you decide, decide soon. Yes, I prefer morning because of the calmer seas. And it's beautiful. Some prefer morning because they serve you cinnamon rolls.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,092 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trilogy sail

And they are darn good cinnamon rolls too! And served warm!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trilogy sail

Mmmm, cinnamon rolls!! As an aside, my theory is that Heaven will smell like homemade cinnamon rolls baking…….. does ANYTHING smell quite as good??? LOL

And WendyH, I certainly agree with the others and personally prefer early trips, though as Mamma always says, the whales are out there having a good time all day, and one can often see just as many whales at a sunset sail, which is also very, very nice. I've been out on early bird whale watches where it was very stormy and windy, and middays that were calm. Weather is unpredictable of course, but as said, mornings are generally calmer. And calmer seas make it easier to spot the whales, and THAT is the key.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trilogy sail

Not sure they're "having a good time all day"; looks to me like a tough job :) But I think I agree about the smell of heaven.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trilogy sail

We were in Maui around the same time as you last year and saw very few whales, they had already left for their long trek North. However, we saw a lot of dolphins that were very entertaining! They come right up to the boat and swim alongside as you can see from my avatar. I prefer morning but have done afternoon too - how bad can it be, you're in Maui lol.

New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trilogy sail

Thanks for your advice everyone...too true pizzadog, how bad can it be, we are in Maui : )

9. Re: Trilogy sail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:18