We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours - should we book in advance?

J S
Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tours - should we book in advance?

Hi! My husband and I are going to Maui in May. We are interested in booking the sunrise bike tour and the road to hana tour. I didn't know if we should book now or wait until we get there. Also, does anyone have a specific company we should go with when doing these tours?

thanks in advance for all of your help :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,905 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours - should we book in advance?

Anything that you consider a "must do" book in advance. A lot of the time you will get some kind of discount if booking in advance, on line. Are you not renting a car or just don't want to do these activities on your own?

The most recommend Hana tour is with Valley Isle Excursions.

The bike ride down the mountain is not something I personally recommend doing. Too dangerous in my view but there are plenty of people that do it.

J S
Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours - should we book in advance?

Hi! After everyones' help on here we have decided to book a car for the full week. I read that you can't drive the rental car the full distance of road to hana?! Is that true? That is the only reason we were considering the tour...we thought we might do the tour and then go back ourselves later on in the week (we really want to do a lot of hiking, see the black sand beach, etc).

I was getting kind of nervous about the danger in the biking...so that is making me reconsider it!

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours - should we book in advance?

We booked a RTH tour when we got to Maui. I think it was Polynesian Adventures. Hubby did not want to drive it. Our car rental place also mentioned it I think when we rented our car so we didn't want to risk it.

I loved our tour but it would be nice to drive it so that you can spend all the time you want at each place. I would love to drive just as far as the waterfalls on our next trip but hubby won't consider it. Can't say I blame him.

We did drive to Haleakala ourselves. I can't imagine biking down, the car was scary enough.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 17:59
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours - should we book in advance?

OK ...

#1 - Smart move on renting a car for the full stay. You will need it. Do reserve it now.

#2 - It's totally up to you whether you want to take a tour or drive to Hana. Yes, you can drive all the way to Hana and a bit beyond in your rental. What you cannot do is drive around the backside of Haleakala to/from Kahului because of the unsafe condition of part of the road. It's not a short-cut anyway.

#3 - If you do want to take a tour to Hana ... great! Most of us recommend Valley Isle. Keep in mind that Hana isn't Oz or anything. The Road is the attraction. http://www.tourmaui.com

#4 - the biking down Haleakala is dangerous. Yes, it's hyped and advertised to death - but we get consistent comments about injuries/deaths ... and the fact that it is not relaxing, but cold, wet. Bottom line: the road down Haleakala is not designed for bikes. (Barely designed for cars!)

#5 - going back to the Road to Hana will take some effort. There's no problem with it, really - if you don't mind the drive.

It would help us if we knew where you were staying. It does make a difference.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 20:17
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours - should we book in advance?

tripadvisor.com/…56883843

Here's another current thread about biking down Haleakala.

6. Re: Tours - should we book in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:24