We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

auckland
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

Hi

we have just seen some `good deals` for this property (sheraton) but looking at the reviews i am not sure you would rush to stay there ? but of course you cant believe all you read ?

What is this property like for a family with young children in may ? what are the pro`s v cons ?

any tips would be fab

this hotels works out about $600 us dollar cheaper than the Andaz for 4 nights? which would you choose ? its probably a once in a very long time visit to Maui for us

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Calgary
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

It's a no brainer for me. Having stayed at the Sheraton several times over the years and given the fact that you're saying it's a "once in a very long time" experience, DEFINITELY the Andaz. It's modern, brand new and splashy and the Sheraton is dated and definitely showing it's age. The Sheraton location and grounds are great but since you're only there for a short time, I'd for sure go with the Andaz. Just my 2cents of course.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,900 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

The Sheraton is in a wonderful location, right at Black Rock. But it is busy on the beach there because of it. Lots of snorkelers at Black Rock! The Sheraton is also in a great location for restaurants and Whaler's Village. Great shopping opportunities.

Having said all that, my vote goes for the Andaz as well. It is just so NEW!

Also, be aware that the Sheraton is in West Maui, and the Andaz is in South Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,085 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

You might consider a condo; four nights is the usual minimum stay for condos on www.vrbo.com You can also rent from a management company like Aston. With young children, condos give you a kitchen and some *privacy* for Mom and Dad in their own bedroom. Many have two bathrooms and big lanai -- plus everything a hotel offers except room service. You might save enough to come back sooner!

If you're using a hotel in Honolulu, staying 'home from home' in a low-rise, low-density condo might be a welcome change. I'd check 'the ends' of Maui over Kaanapali: Napili/Kapalua in West Maui; Wailea/South Kihei in South Maui.

Did you look at Fairmont Kea Lani with its' all-suite rooms?

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,369 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

If you want a resort that caters to kids, stay at the Hyatt.

The Sheraton Maui is a gorgeous, spacious property on the prime spot of Ka'anapali Beach. But it doesn't cater to kids like the Hyatt does. Try the Hyatt ... or the Westin VILLAS (not resort and spa). The Westin VILLAS are a condo/resort ... and the condo amenities would be so handy with kids!

If it were just you and your spouse, I'd recommend the Sheraton in a heart-beat.

BUT - do you want to stay in West Maui (Ka'anapali, Napili, Kapalua) or South Maui (Wailea)? You're not just tossing around hotel names - but completely different areas. Some of us prefer West Maui (including me) ... other South Maui.

Andaz is new. So what! Is it kid-friendly? I personally don't know. I would careful peruse their website for kids' pools, kids' clubs and activities. So far, it's giving the appearance of hip and modern ... usually not associated with kids.

Also - is the $600 difference for the cost of the room only ... or the grand total with taxes?

Mentioned in this post
Ka'anapali Beach
Ka'anapali Beach
7,792 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,369 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
auckland
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

Hi

$600 is total difference

Andaz does offer free daytime kids club etc

Texas
Level Contributor
858 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

We have stayed at the Andaz and it's really nice! They have all kinds of complimentary things--chairs on the beach, canoe rides. No resort fee--but a charge for parking. The Ka'ana Kitchen is excellent! Both are on excellent beaches--but I think I would choose the Andaz for a really special stay!

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

Does that total difference include the $30 (31.25 USD with tax) a night resort fee at the Sheraton? Self parking is included, but valet is another $12 per night. No resort fee at the Andaz, but valet only parking at $30 per night... plus a few dollars tip every day.

As you've noticed you can read the reviews, there is more info in all that than you will get in one thread on here. You can pick up some specific answers in the forum if need be. Simply put the Andaz is quite new and a step above the Sheraton in pretty much every way.... including cost of food and drink. Wailea is also the prime resort area on Maui. As you can see I think the choice is pretty simple assuming you can afford the Andaz and don't mind their "modern over practical" styling.

Edit: As noted also consider you have to pay for umbrellas and beach chairs on Ka'anapali again covered in Wailea... apples to apples and all that.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 01:21
Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

As has been mentioned a dozen times now ... Andaz is new. Over time, they will add a resort fee and the other assorted costs that most resorts have. But for NOW ... they want to entice people to come. They want people to say nice things about them ... bring in their friends, good reviews, good vibes on TripAdvisior. It's basic marketing. Northing wrong with that. Go for the specials while you can ... IF Andaz and Wailea is what you want.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
auckland
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

Thanks everyone

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa ?

We stayed at the Sheraton 6 years ago with two girls, ages 10 and 8, and they still talk about it. They loved the lazy river pool (they weren't beach lovers at the time but the beach is right there) and the activities--I think they learned to make leis, do the hula, open a coconut, etc. We finally did get them to snorkel at Black Rock (they had a kickboard with a window in the middle, which my youngest liked since she was afraid of the snorkeling gear), watching the guy jump off of Black Rock, etc. I think they even did a movie pool night, so a lot of family activities. I remember the room being a little small though, and the food was really expensive, so we usually walked down to Whaler's Village to eat, which wasn't always convenient. Since then we've gone the condo route and have appreciated the extra space, even though there aren't as many activities. My husband prefers the more relaxed atmosphere at the condos as well, so it depends on what you're looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI