We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full size car too big for road to Hana?

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Full size car too big for road to Hana?

I can get full size car rental for same price as smaller car. Normally no brainer for me. But have heard that road to Hana very tight. Should purposely go smaller on the car?

brampton, ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

I don't think so. Many tours companys travel the road and they're in buses. Go for comfort

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

No, you will be fine. The road is tight no matter what kind of car you're in at certain points. *wink* Believe me, if those BIG ol' dump trucks and delivery trucks can do it, a full sized car is not a problem! We generally do the Hana portion of our Maui trips in a minivan and have never had any issues.

Please just be mindful of any locals that might be behind you (if someone is staying really close to you, it COULD be a local), and at the next turnout, be a considerate visitor, pull off and let them pass. An awful lot of folks have to traverse that winding, narrow, GORGEOUS road twice a day to get to/from work. You will want to take it slower than them, believe me! ;-)

RTH is breathtaking. Pack a few snacks and bottles of water for the trip. And take your camera! Enjoy!

Edited: 20 March 2014, 00:59
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

If you don't need the full size for people or luggage space, I would keep the smaller car for a few reasons ... parking spaces aren't very wide in most places, narrow winding roads such as the RTH are easier to drive with a smaller car and you'll save a little on gas with the smaller vehicle. A mid size works well.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

I only get a fullsize if I need the space, otherwise it's just a waste of gas, and harder to cram into the parking spaces and other tight spots you may encounter.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

We have driven the road to Hana in a minivan before. But we generally pick smaller cars to save on gas.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

Okay, the question was is a full size card too big for RTH? No. But others have asked good questions. Is it just the 2 of you? Would the full sized car be nice for any of the rest of your trip, whether for drives, luggage, picking up supplies if you are staying a couple of weeks, etc.

We almost always have a minivan rented at the start of our Maui trip because we share it with whatever kids come with us for the Hana portion of our trip, which is always the first few days of our time on Maui. After Hana? We drop off the Minivan and trade it in for the oh-so-touristy, but-hey-we-really-love-it-anyway convertible! And the kids get whatever they choose for their own use! And unless you are going to be doing a LOT of driving, it's probably not going to make a huge difference in gas mileage, unless you went for a sub-compact.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 01:31
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,092 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

I have to keep reminding myself about expensive the gas is on Maui, for you mainlander Americans! The gas on Maui is still cheaper on Maui than it is on my island.

So if the cost of gas is an issue, then the economy cars are indeed better, not just for mileage, but for those small parking spaces that Susan mentioned.

How many people are with you on this trip? Two of you, or some kids too?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

Yikes, JOan! You guys pay more on Vancouver Island than on Maui??? Ewwww. Bless you! We do a fair amount of driving while on Maui, but really don't burn that much gas over the course of our 3-4 weeks….maybe it's because "old lead foot" isn't driving all the time!!! LOL!! (BTW, that would be ME!! I'm the fast driver in the family)

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

Yep gas prices are high, but miles are low and speeds too so you can't really burn all that much on Maui.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Full size car too big for road to Hana?

LOL!!! Wanderer, that must be it! Mahalo!! ;-)