We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish stings at Molokini

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Topic
Jellyfish stings at Molokini

hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25072946/four-snorke…

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish stings at Molokini

That's too bad, but that's ocean life. Hope all are okay!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish stings at Molokini

I heard about this on the news last night. Very unusual occurrence for Maui and this location in particular. We have to remember the ocean is full of things that might not be friendly!!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish stings at Molokini

On my last trip to Molokini a few years ago we had to get out of the water early because of jellyfish in the water. I actually like the boat ride more than I do snorkeling so I wasn't terribly disappointed.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish stings at Molokini

http://hawaiijellyfish.blogspot.com/

I have read about the box jellyfish in Hawaii, a much less toxic version of the ones found in Australia and Japan and usually frequenting Oahu.

Above is the Hawaii jellyfish calendar and they are right on time from the full moon.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish stings at Molokini

Jellyfish shutdown places on Oahu also:

hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25083250/jellyfish-i…

We went to Hilton Head Island for two summers before our last trip to Maui. It was full of jellyfish, my wife got a bad sting. Lovely place with very warm waters and really liked it there but the critters were one of the main reasons we decided not to go back.

Sheldon

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,721 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish stings at Molokini

We don't get the regular influx Oahu tends to, here on Maui. Sure, we get them sometimes-but it is more like every three or four months, sometimes not even that often.

7. Re: Jellyfish stings at Molokini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 05:15