We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

It was Trilogy snorkeling day. I was super excited for this trip. The kids had never been snorkeling before and I couldn't wait to see their reactions. Left from Kaanapali beach. The Trilogy crew, Captain Kevin, Marco, and Carrie, were absolutely fantastic. We had cinnamon role and fruit on our way to Honolua Bay. The trip there was very windy and wavy, but when we got to Honolua Bay it was sunny, calm, and beautiful. I think this bay might be the best place in Maui - a gem. Snorkeling was fantastic. My hubby and I each buddied up with one of the kids. There were so many fish, a beautiful reef, and turtles. My oldest and I swam out to the edge where there were several turtles swimming. I found myself nose to nose with one - so very cool. We started getting cold (even with the wetsuit shirt on) so snorkeled back to our boat. Lunch on the boat was delicious -- bbq chicken, salad, corn, chips and salsa. Yum. A nice refueling before we went back out to snorkel a bit more. As we left Honolua Bay, a pod of spinner dolphins swam along side the boat. My kids really got a kick out of that. We sailed back to Kaanapali and watched whales. We even saw a baby breach! A fabulous trip I would do again and recommend to all.

Back at the beach, the kids enjoyed playing in the waves. We decided to head home for a clean up and a snack, then back to Kaanapali for more ocean fun. Dinner at Leilanis. There were tow musicians playing who were very good. One of them was John Cruz! Had the poke/ceviche pupu, fish tacos, and a couple of yummy tropical drinks.

The next day was swap meet day. It was rainy, but still fun. Got several gifts and souvenirs. My youngest bought herself a really nice ukelele. Lunch back home. We spent a lot of time in the condo as we were all sunburned from our outing the day before.

We had reservations at Merriman's for my hubby's 40th bday. It was super windy and overcast - no one was out at the point bar. The restaurant is lovely. Awesome location. Staff was outstanding. Mai Tais (awesome), Ahi for my hubby, the fish special (some sort of tuna) and the filet for me. Delicious wine. The kids enjoyed their food and kiddie mocktails as well. SO GOOD. Would definitely go back. We spent a lot of money though, so I think it's a once a trip kind of place. A great birthday for my hubby.

Windy again the next day. The waves out front of the condo were huge compared to our first day. I love sitting on the lanai sipping coffee watching Molokai light up. The rest of the family sleeps in - I just can't stay in bed when there is an ocean outside my door.

Off to Upcountry to explore. Went to Makawao, anxious to try Kamoda's Bakery. Unfortunately, it was Sunday and the bakery and a bunch of the shops were closed. We found several places to browse. The blown glass shop was awesome. We then drove to Surfing Goat Dairy. I loved how I could see both the north and south shores from up there. Beautiful view. The farm was cute. The kids enjoyed petting the baby goats. We bought some truffles and fresh goat cheese.

Next stop was Coconuts in Kiehi. Very good fish tacos. Went to Kam Beach I - very nice beach - I liked that it has a lifeguard. The wind was whipping though so we got sand blasted. The kids tried some body surfing and we all enjoyed the sunshine. Shave ice again - Ululani's - very good. Back home for swimming, dinner, and a movie. It suddenly dawned on my that we only had 4 full days left, and so many more things to see and do. We promptly booked a whale watch with Trilogy for Wednesday. Love being in Maui!!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,108 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

What a fantastic time you had!

And what a bonus... honu, spinner dolphins, AND a whale breach!

A great way to celebrate a 40th birthday. Nice that you were able to enjoy yourselves, regardless of the weather. I always enjoy browsing the shops in Makawao. You must try to get up to that bakery on your next trip though.

And then you can visit the winery too, further Upcountry. I never tire of the views from up there.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

Love hearing about such an enjoyable time. Has she learned anything on the ukulele yet?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

What a treat for the kids to experience so much on their snorkel adventure. Your family is having so much fun.

New England
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

Thanks for the report . Taking notes for my second trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

Thanks for the report, love hearing about everyone's snorkeling adventure's!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

Sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

Sounds like the kids took to snorkeling quickly...great report!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
300 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

Great report -- thanks for taking the time to share. We leave this Thursday and I think I'm going to copy your days! I'd been thinking about Merriman's but not sure if it'd be ok to have kids in the restaurant part...your report makes me think I better look into reservations

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

Sounds like a wonderful time in paradise! :)

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report, Family trip to Maui, Part 2

kyrambler - no problem with kids in Merriman's. I saw other kids in there as well. The staff was very sweet to mine. They loved having the mocktails. I would make reservations -- you can request to be nearest the ocean for the best view. We never made it back there to sit at the point bar. Next trip for sure. :)