We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Oregon
Level Contributor
367 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Anybody have any favorite Mexican places on the west side? I'm talking about the kind where you order at the table and can enjoy a brew or margarita as opposed to the order-at-the-counter and wolf-it-down places.

We used to like Chico's in Whaler's Village way back when, even though it was kind of mild for a couple that grew up in Southern Cal. Haven't found much since then, but we've only been on the island once in the past 10 years.

Jim

California
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Jim, I agree about the old Chico's, it was always a typical Chevy's type mexican place but we still enjoyed it and food was well priced and a nice change from the typical tourist restaurants. I've still never found a good sit down Mexican restaurant on Maui, Fred's is about as close as I've found. A good Mexican restaurant in W. Maui would be a huge hit. We use to try Compadres in the Cannery Shopping Center but they were never very good.

A good Chinese restaurant in W. Maui would also be on my wish list! Being from the Bay Area we have good Mexican and Chinese restaurants almost on every street corner so I guess I'm a little spoiled.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Don't know if they've opened yet but I plan to check it out next trip :)

sangritagrill.com/news/2013/11/18/coming-soo…

Dave

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Not sure if it's still there but there was a fabulous Mexican restaurant in the Cannery Mall. The only other Mexican restaurant in Maui I can say is good is located in Makawao.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,046 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

<More than a year in the making, Sangrita will simply be the best Mexican food experience on Maui>> LOL! Given there is no competition ... they could be right! This is from that Sangrita link peacenik gave us.

Maybe SW will chime in and give us the skinny. Meanwhile, I'm happy as a clam with the fish tacos at Hula Grill outdoors.

California
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Interesting, just checked and I guess it's open. I'll give a try on during our upcoming trip. It's in a strip mall but hopefully it's good. Thanks for the tip!

www.sangritagrill.com

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

great, report back Clint! I like the pictures of the food especially of the pulpo. I love to order stuff like that (octopus) because it freaks out my wife :)

Dave

Oregon
Level Contributor
367 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Notice so far it's just a bunch of us West Coasters commiserating. We all need our Mexican fix, don't we? We'll try to give Sangarita a try next month and report back.

Marni, in case we get desperate, is Polli's the place you liked in Makawao?

Jim

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Hi Jim,

Yes Pollis is the restaurant. Very authentic. The prices are good, and the service and food were awesome!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,438 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Though I haven't dropped in yet, I have trusted friends who have been to Sangrita's. First thing--do know it is much more Mexican than Cal-Mex or Tex Mex. Second..........it is pricey.............way pricey IMO.

Amigo's at the Wharf isn't bad, for more Cal/Tex Mex style. Service can be spotty. Ohana Tacos in Honokowai is good. Pinata's in Kahului (near the airport) is pretty good, depending on what you order. Out of all the Mexican style places, I would also look at Fernando's (food court at Maui Marketplace and sit down full bar at Queen Kaahumanu center), plus Polli's.

Oregon
Level Contributor
367 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Mexican restaurants in West Maui?

Thanks for the ideas, SW. We'll almost certainly try Ohana Tacos since it's about a 5-minute walk from our condo. But that looked like a counter-order, paper plates kind of spot.

I'm remembering now that Milagro's in Paia hit the spot for me last trip, though it's not strictly a Mexican place.

Jim