We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Lag and children

New York
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Jet Lag and children

Hi There

I will be arriving at 5pm from NYC (via Honolulu) into OGG with my husband and a 5 and 8 year old. We leave NYC at 10am EST. What should be my game plan for the couple of days after we arrive? We are staying in the Honua Kai,

Any advice would be appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,348 Reviews
Maui, HI
California
Level Contributor
7,100 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet Lag and children

You know, a lot of people comment about how East Coast travelers are going to be to exhausted to eat, drive to the hotel, etc.... but our family routinely goes to the Caribbean from the West Coast and for the most part are fine when we get there, kids included. We may go to bed early the first night but it's nothing we worry about or change our plans over. I guess it affects everyone differently. Tired or not I think most of us are so excited when arriving on vacation that we get a little extra boost of energy.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 19:52
Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet Lag and children

By the time you get luggage and car rental it will be about 7 by the time you get to condo. I would stop and grab takeout on the way. The next day do grocery shopping and pool or beach time to relax and adjust to time change.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet Lag and children

My only suggestion would be to not plan evening activities for the first couple of nights while you adjust to the 6 hour difference. You will be awake early though. We always found that the "lag" feeling occurred when we returned home to the east coast, not while on Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet Lag and children

I am from England so traveled home many a time, and I only really suffered when I got back to NYC. Like you all say going on vacation you can pretty much put up with anything, it's coming back that hits you : )

One questions though.....should I just keep the kids up as long as I can when we get to the condo or let them sleep?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet Lag and children

If it were up to me, I would try to keep the kids awake as long as possible to try to get on Maui schedule. If they go to bed too early, they will be up too early, and then tired again early!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet Lag and children

Thank you Heather, my thoughts too!!1

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,236 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet Lag and children

While that sounds good in theory, is it practical? Personally I wouldn't want to try to keep a cranky kid that needs sleep awake!! By the time you land get your luggage, car and get up to the Honua Kai it will be close to dark. Give them some dinner and let them rest!!

Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,348 Reviews
Maui, HI
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet Lag and children

Maybe they could take a nap on the plane? That way they won't be so tired once you land on Maui!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet Lag and children

Get them out into the fresh air and sunshine - take them to see the ocean and it should wake them up a bit, but prepare for an early/easy night. If they can sleep on the plane, great - same for you. The jet lag will not really hit until you head home,

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
621 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet Lag and children

We flew to Oahu when the girls were roughly your kids' ages and we arrived at 4:30from Chicago. Our girls were very tired so we brought in food to eat on our lanai, wAtched the sun set and went straight to sleep. We were all up by 3.30 or 4, so we took advantage and did some exploring and it was perfect. Everyone adjusted fine. Being out in the sun helps. I brought melatonin just in case. Have an amazing trip! I agree with other posters; the return flight was killer, but we took the red eye.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 20:23
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii