We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young couple first time to Hawaii

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Young couple first time to Hawaii

We are a young couple (early 20's) coming to Maui for the first time the last week of April. We will be staying at The Maui Sheraton Resort and Spa and will be there for a week. We would love to hear what those that have been suggest are the "must-do's" of Maui. Thank you! We can't wait to be in paradise!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

It's pretty general question. You will most likely get a ton of different answers ranging from site seeing, hiking, snorkeling, spa experience to fine dining. You can help narrow down your responses by letting us know what your interests are like outdoor activities, water activities, type of site you like to see and so on. There are many here that have been a few times now and tend to go back for specific things like us we go back now mainly for the snorkeling and some site seeing now. If you help zero in on your interests we can help you make a great vacation. You've already picked a great starting point with the area you are staying in. But that's just my opinion, others will argue that. ;-)

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

Get a good guidebook, and take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this screen (desktop view only).

You can also search on TripAdvisor for top attractions & activities.

And search for "trip report" or just "TR" on the Maui board. Beaches, the Road to Hana/Pipiwai Trail/Oheo Gulch, Haleakala crater, snorkeling, a luau, the Saturday AM swap meet, some sort of boat ride/whale watch (in the winter only) will probably come up many times...

Since you're likely under 25, the biggest issue will be getting that rental car. Do you have one reserved already? If you're active and want to explore, you'll need one. Hawaii is not like Mexico/the Caribbean where most people stay basically at the resort the whole time.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 14:21
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

We love outdoor activities and water activities. We won't be able to rent a car, but others in our group will and we can head out with them at times. My fiancé won the trip at work so air, hotel, a luau and some cash are all included. Still can't believe we are going. Thank you so much for any heads up you can give us!

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

The young couples I know that went to Maui really loved nightlife in Lahaina and snorkeling.

Shouldn't miss Haleakala. Doesn't need to be sunrise or sunset.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,428 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

The Sheraton runs a free shuttle into Lahaina for shopping, dining and some nightlife. Teralani, Trilogy and Gemini offer snorkeling and sunset cruises that leave from Kaanapali Beach in front of your hotel.

What a terrific prize for you...you're gonna have a blast!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

Get out on the water. I love the day snorkel trips to lanai...trilogy and paragon use great catamarans. you might also like the rigid inflatable rafts...not sure of the company but that's a bit more adventurous I would think.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

I would suggest the Road to Hana for the incredible scenery. You will want a car for this journey (unless you plan to go with your friends on the Road to Hana). If you are interested in renting a car try Discount Hawaii Car Rental, they have some rental companies that offer reduced fees (only $10/day more) for ages 21-24.

Try typing in "must see" or "must do" or "top ten must see" in the search bar, and you will come up with lots more ideas. Also, I agree doing a little reading in a guidebook specific to Maui would be a good place to start.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

Wow!! Congrats on the win and prize, that is awesome. You will find answers to your questions right here if you use the tabs on top of this page and Top Questions on the right. "Must do's" are very subjective, what is it that you would like to do?

9. Re: Young couple first time to Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 05:16