We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

I've been checking the last couple of days and we're down 10 dollars from two days ago. I booked an intermediate car at Avis for $151 and cancelled my Alamo $418 reservation for a Jeep. I won't be too disappointed giving up that Jeep, right? Ugh. Frugal is trumping fun right now but I think I'll be happier when I get my AMEX bill! And I won't worry so much about our luggage being in plain sight.

I'll keep watching and hope those rates will come even further down!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

You will be fine without the jeep! And just think of those mai tais you can now enjoy, or a nice piece of jewelry, or a dinner out.

You don't have much longer to wait for your trip now. Have a GREAT time!

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

I like the way you think, J0an!! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

I'm on it! Thanks!

auckland
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

where is the best place to book a car direct with Avis ?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

Good work, KikiB! It really DOES pay to keep on checking! And like Miss JOan said, those savings can be put toward something else to make your trip just a little more wonderful! :-(

Yesterday I was able to rebook a couple of our 3 different cars needed for our January/February trip next year with Discount Hawaii Car Rental at a lower price than my original rez's. Costo's prices have not yet dropped. Hopefully I will see several more drops over the next 9 months!

auckland
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

just tried avis and they super expensive

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

Oops! My :-( should have been :-) !!!! Hahahahha!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
529 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

That is great news!! I'm off to check mine for September. I have already seen it drop twice :) Use that difference for a great dinner. You don't have much longer!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
361 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

Just wish the convertible prices for early May would come down. They haven't budged a bit.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: YES! Car rental prices are starting to come down for May!!

Keep checking on the convertibles, Nursesar. Check Costo, DHCR, and each company you would be comfortable renting from. Some folks check daily. I'm on the email lists for my favorite big car companies for their promos.

I have also done Priceline bids, but you want to be SUPER careful on that. I generally do not do them until all my plans/times/dates are "set in stone", because if your bid wins, your credit card is charged the entire amount RIGHT THEN and NO REFUNDS for any reason Augh!!! Also, Priceline seems to add an awful lot of extra fees (yes, even more than the horrific add-ons one generally sees on top of the "base price"), so your bid needs to be lower per day than whatever the best price you are seeing, by a good bit. I generally put in a ridiculously low bid (SUPER lowball) to get an idea just how much more those fees are. I have gotten a couple of good deals with Priceline over the years, but it is a risky business. I much prefer just finding a great price the "normal" way. That way if I find something better or change my mind, I'm not out hundreds and hundreds of $$.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 04:21