We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving Maui

Albuquerque, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
driving Maui

I would love to stay at one hotel in Maui and take day trips around the island. Is this possible? I'm used to long drives from town to town ( I live in the southwest) so taking two or three hours to go from one part of the island to another would be great. Also if you have any day trip ideas they would be welcome.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,404 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving Maui

No problem. You can drive practically anywhere on Maui within an hour. Drives like the road to Hana are fun, check out the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. This is the longest drive and without stops takes 2 hrs. from Kahului. Day trips are what the majority of those who visit Maui do.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving Maui

The majority of people visiting Maui stay in one place, and tour around. Nothing is very far on Maui.

But, depending on how long you have to visit Maui, you may want to consider one or two nights in Hana.

Have you had an opportunity to check out the links on the right hand side of this page yet? Lots of ideas for you there.

Let us know what your interests are, as there are lots of great day trips to be had on Maui.

La Perouse Bay, Upcountry, Haleakala, Paia and Makawao, or west Maui to the blowhole and back.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving Maui

Except for the Road to Hana, which is a very full 12 hour day, you can pretty much tour the island in a couple of 2 or 3 hour day trips! Small, easy to navigate and gorgeous. A gem to explore.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving Maui

Absolutely! Get in the car and venture out everywhere. Maui is not a big island and as the previous post stated you can drive all over the island with the exception of Hana in one day. The road to Hana will take a full day to itself.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,914 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving Maui

No problem, as said above. If you are staying 10 nights or more ... maybe change accommodations for fun ... but that's just if you want to - not because you have to.

Do you have a good travel guidebook for Maui? A good map? That's where you start.

Also - read down through the Maui Forum - as we talk about activities (and restaurants) all the time.

Do you have your accommodations yet? If so - where? This information will help us ...

Since you are thinking about road trips - make sure to note which highways are prohibited by your rental car agreement.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,486 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving Maui

When will you visit? How long can you stay? Who is coming? Do you want a hotel or a condo?

South Maui is more centrally located and has the best access roads -- to the airport, Road to Hana, Haleakala, Upcountry, Iao Valley, Lahaina, Kapalua.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving Maui

Very easy to tour from anywhere you stay. The great thing is the drives are gorgeous so I never mind them at all.

We have stayed in both Wailea and Kapalua and to us it wasn't a big deal where we stayed. Not a huge difference.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving Maui

I don't want to sound too condescending, but can't people look at a map and see how long the distances are?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving Maui

Maps and distances don't always help...some islands in the Caribbean can take you forever to drive a mile or two...

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving Maui

"can't people look at a map and see how long the distances are?"

I am having trouble planning things because I am unaware of how treacherous the drives are or if what Google tells me is even possible. Is there a good guidebook people recommend?