We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai ground floor unit

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Honua Kai ground floor unit

Another Honua Kai question...looking for a 3 BR unit for May 2015. We will have two 3-year olds in our group and I found a ground floor unit available. It wouldn't have the beautiful views of the higher floors but thought it might be convenient to have a little lawn outside for the kids to play on. Any thoughts on pros/cons of ground floor units with young children?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

Young children and lanai/balconies on upper floors have safety issues as well.

Personally, I think that ground-level units are noisier ... And wouldn't the kids try to make a break for it with a ground-level unit?

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

Ground floors are easier access to walk out and hit the beach or pool and also let the kids play. I personally don't like ground floor those because of bugs and other critters and you can't really leave the door or windows open due to safety issues. I also like having a balcony and a great view.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

Thanks, I had thought of escapees, but not the bug issue!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

I personally prefer ground floor, especially with kids! They can, under adult supervision, roam at will (no being cooped up in a small condo), there are no stuffy elevators to deal with, and if you plan to spend any time at the pool or bbq a dinner or two, there is less lugging gear/food back and forth.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

We've been happy with ground floor units for ages. (No bugs. No thefts.) I prefer low-rise, low-density condos, but a ground floor in even in a tall (elevator) building would be less off-putting. Where is this unit in relation to public areas?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

We love ground units and my kids are a bit older..but nice for them to just walk out and toss a ball around. Some units we have stayed in also have slider locks so you can keep them partially open all night long.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

With the young grand kids we have always done the ground floor. In addition to the other reasons stated we use the lanai to clean them off before they come into the condo all the wet sandy stuff gets left outside. Keeps the condo much cleaner and neater

Edited: 08 April 2014, 21:00
California
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

I'm another one who prefers upper floors because of theft.

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

My experience last year - 4th floor 3 bedroom and a 2 year old. Loved having the wide glass doors open but the 2 year old was very interested in what was happening below (we were above the fire pit and waterfall in the Konea building). The dining chairs on the balcony were very easy for a 2 year old to move and he could climb up on them in an instant. Constant supervision was required. We could see several families in the ground floor units and the kids would be running around. But this would have required the same constant supervision as our 2 year old could have been in the creek/waterfall or pool in about 2 seconds. The 3 bedrooms on the front of the U-shape buildings seemed to have more of a wall and shrubbery around them which would help to keep small children closer but they are also right at the edge of the pool areas. I have to say that the elevators were not any problem and were quick. Also, we were there for 2 weeks and did not hear of any theft. I read most of the reviews of Honua Kai before I booked and do not recall reading anything at all about theft. If you post the building and room #, you might get a more detailed response about that particular unit. It is a fabulous resort for families with small children, your kids will love it!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai ground floor unit

I'm not sure of the exact unit - the description on VRBO doesn't say. From the reviews I can tell it is in the Hokulani Tower and it faces south. I have emailed the owners for more information.