We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help narrowing down our restaurant list

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help narrowing down our restaurant list

I’ve read so many reviews, menus, googled and mapped enough to make my head spin! I’m looking for your recommendations for places to dine while in Maui. We are not fine dining people, so the Mama’s, Merrimans, etc. type places do not appeal to us. My ideal places would be super casual, beach/water view, and have some sort of local flavor. I’m sure there are good options, but restaurants in strip mall type locations or chain restaurants just do not appeal while on vacation. I’d like to go with a few ideas for the areas we’ll be spending most of our time in, so mainly Kaanapali and Lahaina, possibly Kihei too. So far my main choices are places like Koa's, Barefoot Bar, Tiki Terrace and Leilanis. Any suggestions, do's/don'ts or thoughts would be grealty appreciated!

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

Leilani's is excellent for happy hour with live music and cheap food and drinks. Not to mention an amazing view.

Star Noodle is excellent too, very reasonable and delicious.

Ono tacos while a complete dive, is delicious and has excellent tacos.

Maui fish market has delicious fresh fish specials. Very small and affordable.

Flatbread pizza is delicious! local and affordable with a very trendy vibe.

Maui brick oven is another great one.

808 deli is fabulous.

These are all affordable and delicious.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

Happy Hour at Monkey Pod in Wailea, Three's Bar and Grill in Kihei (great Happy Hour). Fish taco's at Coconuts in Kihei, For sure, Star Noodle. Check out the awesome food trucks all over the island. Leoda's Pie Shop is great.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
909 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

Aloha Mixed Plate - especially for breakfast!

We LOVE this place and have at least 1/2 our meals here. Happy Hour is great too!

http://www.alohamixedplate.com/

Now for take-out Okazuya is the best and there is always a line. Only takes cash. Phone in your order.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60634-d19…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

Leilani's and Hula Grill sound right on target for what you're after. The Sea House in Napili is also great for happy hour! Views really don't get much better there! Kimos is also a cool spot out on the deck. Cheeseburger in Paradise doesn't have the best food, but if its the view you're after, that could be fun too!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

Some of the best casual places are in strip mall locations. But you can always get a fish taco "to go" and head to the beach with it.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

Leilani's, Hula Grill, and Kimo's all sound like they are good fits for what you are looking for. 808 Bistro has great sandwiches/hot dogs/salads that you could take out and eat at the beach. The Flatbread Co pizza a must do if in Paia.

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

What J0an123 said, some of the BEST local flavor places ARE in strip malls (or industrial areas) with no ocean or beach view at all. Places with a view most of the time are going to be more expensive and less casual.

Check out photos on Yelp before you go and you'll see some great, unassuming places, that just happen to be in strip malls.

Coconuts is in a strip mall. Kihei Caffe is right up against the sidewalk, in a shopping center, with no view. Monkeypod Kitchen is also in a shopping center (and a more high end one since it's Wailea), with barely any view. Eskimo Candy is in an industrial area. So is Star Noodle.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,527 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

Please tell us where you are staying.

Scroll down through the Maui Forum, as we talk about restaurants all the time. Some great information awaits you.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

BTW, some of these places have Early Bird specials. Leilani's is our favorite, go before 6 p.m. for good pricing and a nice view of the sunset!

Sheldon

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help narrowing down our restaurant list

If you eat at Kimo's save room for lilikoi cheesecake. We never ate there, but did take out of that cheesecake twice and brought home to eat on our lanai.