We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Topic
Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

Aloha!

My week in Maui is just over two weeks away and it is all I can think about. I am sure many on this forum know the feeling!

Anyway, I just learned of the Iao Needle and have decided I must see it. Since I want to be as efficient as possible with my limited time, I was wondering if it was feasible to visit the Needle on my way to the condo. I should be landing at 3pm, and won't be checking bags.

I have looked at the map, but is hard to tell realistically if this is a feasible "detour" on my way to check in.

Mahalo for your help. 16 more days!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

I would head to the condo and take in the Iao Needle when visiting Haleakala or Upcountry. The idea of leaving your luggage in the car in the parking lot doesn't appeal to me. And, you will be tired and ready to settle in.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

I'm with BLBL. Last thing I want to do after that flight is immediately begin sight seeing! And you still have a drive to the Westside. (and marketing?).

Definitely don't want all of that luggage hanging in the car.

Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

Hi there,

I will only have one small suitcase, secured in the trunk. I am a very light traveller.

As for being tired, I am accustomed to LONG flights so a 6 hour direct is pretty easy for me.

With that new info, do you think it is still too much? I will be doing a Summit Tour + bike ride later in the week (not the sunrise one) but that's already a pretty full day.

Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

One more thing, last time I was on Maui I drove to Paia for lunch and a Mana foods stop coming directly from the airport before turning around and driving to Kahana. Found that very easy so am wondering how a trip to Iao Needle would compare time-wise??? Thanks again!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

Iao Valley is very easy to get to from the airport. Probably around an half an hour drive or so. If that is what you want to do and don't care about your luggage in the trunk, go for it. Easy drive to the west side from there also.

Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

Hi fishdiva,

Well I do care about my bag being stolen, lol! Are you saying that having it locked in the trunk isn't safe? Are there a lot of trunk break-ins in that area?

If so, then I wouldn't risk it. The time/distance sounds doable though

Mahalo.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

I'm sorry, perhaps my answer wasn't taken in the way I meant. Trunk break- ins AFAIK, aren't common. I just meant if you are willing to take the slight risk then go for it!! I personally wouldn't worry about stuff in the trunk. Just don't get in and out of the trunk with others around.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

Based on your comments, I think it's definitely doable. I would play it by ear though, because if it's cloudy and rainy, then it really won't be worth the trip there as you might not get a great view of the needle. See how you feel, check the weather, and if all are good, then head up to the needle.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
840 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

I would do it, its only about 15 mins from the airport and then it is a straight show down the highway to west side. Also that parking lot has a parking attendant now which I have to think would lower break ins.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,997 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iao Needle on way to checking in at Royal Kahana

We did it en route to west side condo, but even by noon it was quite gray sand cloudy -- and that didn't make for good photos.

I'm very cautious about parking lots, but there was no shady vibe and there was an attendant. There were a couple local guys selling pakalolo at the entrance to the trail, low key.

I liked the park but there were too many people for my optimum enjoyment of it.