We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

1 post
Save Topic
Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

Hello!

I am planning our honeymoon for the middle of October and am torn between the Ritz and Hyatt properties. I have been to Maui with my family when I was younger and have stayed at the Hyatt and the (then) Marriott Maui, now the Marriott vacation club next door. My fiancé has never been to Hawaii but has always wanted to! She does not do well with crowds and we don't want our honeymoon to be a circus. We prefer to be accessible to everything in a more relaxed environment. My fiancé's main concerns were that we can see the ocean, it be on or very close to a good beach, and it have a poolside bar. We plan to do snorkeling, drive around the crater, go into town, shop, etc. They Hyatt is beautiful but so is the Ritz. They are both offering similar rates. Both are giving us free breakfast. The Hyatt is an Oceanfront room and the Ritz is an ocean view room. But because we are going through AMEX, the ritz will let us check out at 4pm, give us a room upgrade if possible, and a $100 resort credit. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions so I can stop agonizing haha.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,515 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

Ritz all the way! :). But of course it is what I would pick.

I spent my honeymoon there and it was fabulous. They treat you like royalty. We also now stay in the Bay villas all the time just down the road. Kapalua gets more rain then the other places..but most is a passing shower like anywhere else and the majority of the rain comes at night while you are sleeping and it is dark outside so it won't even affect you. That is why it is green and lush. It is 10 minutes further than Kaanapali so you have to add 19 minutes onto you drive, but that never bugged us. We just planned for it and enjoyed it.

To me, the Hyatt will be the zoo your fiancé does not want. October is a quieter time, but it is a lot busier and hopping. The valet there drives me nuts. You are going to be closer to things there so it might be an advantage. It is a nice hotel..but we never returned there because we didn't like the business..I like calm and quiet, therefore why I like Kapalua. We drive in for what we want but get to leave it. There is also a timeshare being built on the Hyatt property right now so although it won't completely affect you, it adds more to the environment.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

I have stayed at the Ritz. The buildings are not very close to the ocean so ocean view may not give you the sounds of the waves crashing. It is also somewhat isolated so a car ride is needed to get off site. That area is also prone to wetter weather in general.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

Out of the 2 I would pick the Ritz. It's a step above the Hyatt. There is also construction going on at the Hyatt and I don't know when it will be done. The beach in front of the Hyatt is just a small sliver but you can get to the best part of the beach with a short walk.

The Ritz sits on a cliff above the ocean. Conditions here in October can be a bit wetter than in Kaanapali. October is a transition month concerning surf and weather. This area will give you the more relaxing environment you are looking for.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,515 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

I tried to edit, but was cut off...

As far as the beach...the Hyatt is right there but not good for swimming so you just walk down a bit for that. At the Ritz you are above and have wide ocean views but a little bit back. We were upgraded to an oceanfront so we were in heaven..not sure what the ocean views are. The beach right there is DT Fleming and you can walk down to it or take one of the golf cart shuttles..we always walked. There are 2 other beaches on Kapalua property and they will shuttle you there. They will also shuttle you to the other Kapalua restaurants...Merriman's, Pineapple Grill, and Plantation house.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

In October -- the Ritz. Perfect time of year. Although I like the Hyatt - it is definitely in a busier area - and they cater to larger groups and families with kids. And the construction is an issue for some. The Hyatt's beach is not so good - but it is an easy walk to a better spot.

<<drive around the crater>> What crater? Haleakala? You go up to it, but not around it.

<<go into town>> What town? Lahaina?

Anyway - the Ritz will give you the seclusion you want, and excellent restaurants are only 5 - 10 minutes away ... if that.

At the Ritz, I would opt for the breakfast package. At the Hyatt, I would skip it - as there are so many fun places to pick up breakfast in the area.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 18:09
Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

We also honeymooned in 2009 at the Ritz and are coming back this year for our 5-year anniversary and may stay there again. We chose Kapalua because we thought it to be more quiet and secluded which we felt was perfect for a honeymoon. Like travelbugged said, I wouldn't particularly want to stay in Kaanapali for a honeymoon.

We loved the Ritz. The beach wasn't my favorite but there are lots of other great beaches all around. Definitely get the breakfast--we ate at the Terrace almost every day and it was $60. I would pick the Ritz over the Hyatt every time.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 18:24
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

>> She does not do well with crowds and we don't want our honeymoon to be a circus. <<

Based on that statement alone, the answer would be the Ritz. Kapalua in October will be beautiful. And while it will feel much more secluded than the Hyatt, you'll only be a 15 minute drive to the restaurants and shops of Ka'anapali and Lahaina for when you want that.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, David!

Please tell us where you are from? There is no hometown, state or even country on your profile. This information helps us a great deal.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

If you want to avoid crowds the Ritz location is the better option.

San antonio
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help: Planning Honeymoon. Ritz or Hyatt?

Thanks everyone! We are in our early 20s and are from Texas. It sounds like the Ritz is taking the cake. Our main concerns were the weather and it's far location from other dining or shopping options, like Lahina. It seems like that isn't the case though. And giving up our oceanfront room for partial ocean. Hopefully Amex will give us that upgrade though. Any thoughts on those items?