We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rate my itinerary for May

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
761 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Rate my itinerary for May

Condo booked in Kihei, check

Rental car booked, check

Activities booked, negative. This is very odd for me but this is also the first time we are taking a major vacation with our daughter who will be 14 months old for the trip. I will probably book the ferry to Lanai and the Molokini trip about a week before we leave after we have a feeling for what the weather will be like. I understand that we may have to switch days around if something is booked a particular day. Please let me know if this is a bad idea and I should book now.

Here are some other tidbits. LO sleeps well in the car AND in our backpack carrier. She is such and easy baby, except when she is hungry, then she gets a little cranky. I'm a bit of a foodie, DH not so much. LO seems to take after me with that. I'm also not a huge water person but DH is. I'm fine with 15 minutes of snorkeling. He could stay in the water for hours. LO seems to take after him there. But she doesn't swim yet so when she goes in the water, Mommy or Daddy will be with her.

Day 1 - Arrive 3:10PM, head to Costco for a few items (chicken, milk, alcoholic beverages, and look for gift cards for luau). DH and LO will stay in car with luggage while I shop. Check in to condo. I may head back out to Safeway to get the rest of the groceries/supplies we may need if I feel up to it.

Day 2 - Haleakala sunrise if we can get up that early. I'm assuming we'll still be on East Coast time so it may not be that big of a deal. Pack breakfast and picnic lunch. Hike a little around the crater/park, head back down just before lunch. Stop at Surfing Goat Dairy on the way down. Question, can we eat our picnic lunch there? I was thinking we would buy a little bit of cheese there but probably not enough for lunch for the 3 of us. Or should we stop at the Winery instead? I just thought that might be odd with a 14 month old. I want to stop at the farm regardless, just not sure if we can eat lunch there. Or would there be anywhere else to eat our picnic lunch at on the way back to Kihei? Relax in afternoon when we get back.

Day 3 - Check out beaches near condo in AM. Eat lunch at the condo and head to Iao Valley in the afternoon. How long is the drive from Kihei to Iao Valley? Hoping that LO will nap in the car on the way there. Dinner out in ? Is there somewhere near Iao Valley that would be good? Or should we head back to Kihei?

Day 4 - Road to Hana. Plan is to get on the road ~5:30 and drive straight to Pipiwai Trail. Also check out Oheo Gulch. Other than Waianapanapa State Park, not sure where else we will stop on the way back. I haven't gotten a guidebook yet. Hoping to do that research on the plane. Possibly stop in Paia for early dinner.

Day 5 - Head up to West Maui, possibly the blowhole, have to research that more to see if it's safe to take LO in carrier. Hopefully check out either DT Fleming Beach Park and/or Black Rock. Also stop in Lahaina for lunch or dinner, depending on what time we get up in the morning.

Day 6 - Take 6:45AM ferry to Lanai. Return on 2PM ferry. Dinner out somewhere in Kihei or Wailea after a nice afternoon nap (for all of us!) I'm actually on the fence about this trip. DH wants to see another island, I'm just not sure if it's worth $120 to basically sit on the beach there. I don't think we would be able to see much because we would have to haul all of our stuff with us.

Day 7 - Molokini snorkel trip with Four Winds 2. Relax in afternoon.

Day 8 - Head to La Perouse Bay. Stop by Big Beach for picnic lunch. Head back to condo for nap time and get ready for Luau.

Day 9 - Dive trip for DH. Not sure what LO and I will do. Might brave taking her to the beach alone or maybe we'll go shopping. Relax in afternoon.

Day 10 - One last snorkel outing in the morning. Clean up and head to Maui Ocean Center. We may go earlier in the day as I know it's only open until 5PM, probably depends on if we have had enough of snorkeling at this point or if the weather isn't great. Dinner out in Kihei somewhere.

Day 11 - Depart at 4:45PM. We have secured a late check-out for our condo so we'll head to the airport after lunch.

So how did I do?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

Aloha JessicaP!

Well, looks like you have certainly done your research. :-) At first reading, it sounds pretty ambitious, especially with a little one. Looking back I see you have some down time here and there in place, which is very good. Perhaps having one more day to just "be", without a lot of driving time, because for most of us that is one of the very best things about our time on Maui. Just going with the flow, drinking in the amazing scenery, and having what I call a "gentle day". :-)

Level Contributor
35,740 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

Looks great! You may want to consider Mama's Fish House for your early dinner in Paia. Make advance reservations here. While in West Maui, Kapalua Beach is one not to miss. I like it better than DT Fleming. In Lahaina, Aloha Mixed Plate is really nice for a casual meal and is very toddler-friendly.

Aloha and enjoy your travels! :).

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,777 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

Eating lunch at the winery is just fine. The grounds there are really nice, and actually, that is where my husband and I ate our picnic lunch one trip. Not sure about the goat farm though. You could eat your lunch at Baldwin Beach, just by Paia, on your way back to Kihei, but you may be hungry before then.

Iao Needle is best seen in the morning before the clouds roll in. But honestly, with the clouds, I find it kind of mysterious, and it is a wonderful place to visit any time of day. Well, not when there are a bunch of tour buses!

Lots of dinner choices in Kihei, so I would probably head back to Kihei after your visit there. If you have time though, check out the Bailey House museum before or after the Needle.

Blowhole with your LO.... it can be extremely dangerous getting down there with baby in a backpack. And honestly, the view from the top is just wonderful, and SAFE! Even my husband and I wouldn't go down there.

The late checkout is WONDERFUL! Glad you were able to get that arranged.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

Which luau are you planning on? We will also be there in May I just booked ours last week and some days were sod out not sure I would wait until you get there to book if you really want to do it. We are doing the Feast at Lele because I liked the idea of our own table no buffet and I am looking forward to seeing the New Zealand Maori dances the food is more adventurous there than at the Old Lahaina Luau but I looked at both and it seemed to me that OLL had more sold out dates in May.

I am not sure I would do the Lanai ferry with a 14 month old I have heard the trip back in the afternoons can be rough.

I think I mentioned this on one of you other threads when you take your baby in the water she may be a little taken aback the water in Hawaii is not as warm as what you are used to where you live.

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
761 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

Thanks for your input everyone.

I was worried about taking her too close to the blowhole! My husband tends to be a daredevil sometimes, and he is usually the one that carries her! I just hope I can talk some sense in to him.

The roughness of the water is another reason why I'm on the fence about Lanai. We'll see. I still want to do more research on it. And you did mention to me about the water temp. I have a feeling she will spend more time on the sand. The main reason I want to do the snorkel trip with Four Winds 2 is because they have a glass bottom boat. That way she can still experience the underwater world with one of us while the other is out snorkeling. Actually, if it's too cold, I'll probably spend more time on the boat.

We were planning on the luau at Grand Wailea. I heard there were gift cards available at Costco so I didn't think that I could pre-book without having the card first but haven't been able to confirm.

Oh, and does anyone know if there are any regulations against tents on the beach? Both myself and the LO are pretty fair skinned. I think our condo has a beach umbrella but I'd rather take a tent for better coverage.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

Be flexible on your Hana journey also. Make sure you go past Oheo Gulch to Kipahulu to see Lindbergh's grave, then turn around and go back the same way you came. This web-site is the ultimate when it comes to Hana. www.hawaii-guide.com You can also find info for Hana here on TA by checking out the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page. You can't see them if you are on a mobile device.

No regulations against tents that I know of, just make sure you don't block someone's view!! Probably better than an umbrella because those tend to bend and fly when not securely anchored down. Make sure you put something rather heavy in the tent.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

Two times ago when I was in Maui a guy (visiting on vacation) was swept into the blowhole and they did not find him ... he left his wife and I think a small child. So not to be alarmist but honestly I think going down around the blow hole is a very bad idea. If your husband wants to do it, I suppose he will but I wouldn't take LO.

Re: Lanai, I am also not sure it's worth it just to sit on the beach but you might consider your snorkel day there instead of Molokini. Trilogy has a trip and LO would be free. As was mentioned with the ferry, the trip back can be rough. But if you think LO would be okay on a large catamaran, it's worth considering. They feed you (well), give you beach time, and there's an optional tour of the island given by a local. If you did this, your Day 7 could just be a chill and relax day.

On day 3 after Iao ... you could eat in Paia or maybe go down towards Wailea to Monkeypod Kitchen. Or Cafe O'Lei at the golf course. You won't be too far from any of these places--just depends what you want.

Otherwise looks good to me!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

I think konagirl's advice on taking the Trilogy Lanai snorkel is great you would be freeing up a day and get to snorkel and see more of Lanai.

We have only done a couple whale watches on our trip in 2011 I would love to do the Trilogy Lanai trip but my husband gets seasick very easy and does not enjoy being on the boats he only did the whale watches cause he knew how much I wanted to see the whales up close and personal, seasick hubby equals grumpy hubby not worth it to me to take the chance LOL.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

The ferry drops you off at the harbor at Lanai. Only thing there is the harbor, the beach and the Four Seasons Resort.

Lanai City is up the hill about a 20 minute van ride, think it is about $20 per person. Not much in Lanai City but the Lodge is nearby. It is a nice day trip, but not sure it would be relaxing with a 14 month old.

If your husband is a diver he can go on a dive trip to Lanai out of Lahaina. They don't land on the island but he could get a good look at it from the boat

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
761 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rate my itinerary for May

Great ideas guys. John, I really like your suggestion on the dive trip to Lanai. I didn't even know that was an option. I kind of had my heart set on the Four Winds trip but maybe a Trilogy trip to Lanai would be better. I just checked it out and it looks really promising. If my husband goes diving out of Ma'alea, then he will probably go to Molokini. He said he didn't care if he went to the same place twice but I would feel bad for him.