We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
520 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

We spent 9 days in Maui 3/27-4/5 (myself, husband, and son). My husband and son have Celiac's disease so must eat gluten-free, so I thought I would provide some info on our experience for future residents - paying back to the forum all the help we have gotten :)

Overall we found that Maui restaurants are very gluten-free aware. Many that we ate at did not have dedicated gluten-free menu's but very often indicated gluten-free choices right on the regular menu and I don't know that we went anywhere where the server did not know what we were talking about. Most knew right away and if they didn't they were very good about going to ask someone and double/triple checking with us to make sure everything was good. I personally thought it was a better experience than what we sometimes get at home in the Midwest or that we have gotten traveling to other places. Neither DH or DS ever got sick or had any cross-contamination issues (although I have heard it happens on Maui just like anywhere else - but nowhere we ate).

Most of our experiences were in the South area (Kihei/Wailea) since that is where we stayed, but we stopped a couple of places in Lahaina and Paia.

Groceries:

We were not in a condo so did not do a lot of shopping, but there are a few staples we always need.

- We shopped at two Natural Food stores - Mana Foods in Paia and Hawaiian Moons in Kihei. Both had decent gluten-free selections. Both carried Udi's brand bread, muffins, etc. and we like to buy the muffins for breakfast on the go. If you have never had Udi's bread, muffins, etc. it is the best gluten-free brand we have ever had. We buy it at home all the time. Mana Foods seemed to be larger and have a better selection. We found some frozen gf donuts that were good and they had a few freshly baked items in their bakery as well (didn't try them).

- Safeway and Foodland in Kihei both had a few gluten-free items in the grocery section. No Udi's and we did not look for any other bread or frozen items there.

- We found the large box of Crunchmasters gf crackers at the Maui Costco (never been to any Costco that does not have them). We bring these along with cheese and salami for lunchtime snacks on the beach or on the road instead of sandwiches.

Restaurants in Kihei:

Coconuts Fish Cafe - They had 2 or 3 gf items designated on their menu. DH had fish tacos and DS had the fresh local fish plate (fish with rice). The fish can be cooked multiple ways and both said it was very good.

Maui Brick Oven - this is a dedicated gluten-free restaurant! It is a pizza place (pizza was very good - I liked it too and could not tell it was gf and I usually can!), but they also have a few other items. They had beer-battered (obviously gf beer) mushrooms as the daily special and they were AWESOME - better than the pizza. Don't know if they have these every day but beer-battered onion rings are on the menu so I'm sure they are good also.

Stella Blues - can't remember if they had a gf menu but they accommodated nicely. DH had steak which he said was VERY good and DS had a shrimp cocktail and rice. Shrimp was good too.

Fred's Mexican Cafe - as with most mexican - you can order many things gf by having corn tortillas. If I recall there were some meats on the menu they could not have but the server was knowledgeable. Their chips were not gf (share same fryer with other things). Food was just ok - probably would not go back but they didn't have any contamination issues.

Kihei Caffe - went here twice for breakfast - no special items marked as gf but both DH and DS ordered normal breakfasts of eggs, potatoes, bacon, etc. with no bread. It was good and servings were large enough even without the extra carbs for DH. DS said it was the best bacon he ever had!

Restaurants in Wailea:

Fabiani's - ate here for breakfast - nice omelets, eggs, etc. No gf bread or items in their bakery but the breakfast was good and reasonably priced for Wailea area.

Mulligans on the Blue - had dinner here the last night - very nice atmosphere and LOTS of gluten-free options. DH had ribs (not a gluten-free "given" everywhere due to bbq sauce) which he said were really good. They also have gf pasta here and DS had gf mac & cheese which he liked as well.

Restaurants in Lahaina:

Cool Cat Cafe - burger joint - nothing special gluten-free but they had burgers without buns and they were fine. Kind of a fun atmosphere - good for people-watching.

Star Noodle - the server actually came to the table with a highlighter and highlighted the gf items (there were about a half dozen things which is a lot considering overall size of menu). We ordered Pad Thai, Singapore Noodles, Roasted Mushrooms, and Vietnamese Crepes and shared everything. It was all really good - probably best meal we had on the island and even my picky DS agreed with that. Definitely lived up to their reviews and we learned why everyone raves about this place! Wanted to go back but never had a chance.

Cheeseburger in Paradise - much like Cool Cat nothing special but burgers without buns were fine here also (although Cool Cat Cafe's burgers are better). Atmosphere here was fun though.

Restaurants in Paia:

Flatbread Company - we did not go here but I mention because I do know they have gf flatbread and I believe cook separate from the others. We stopped and looked at the menu and the gf was $6 extra! I know things are more expensive in Maui and you usually have to pay an upcharge everywhere for gf pizza/flatbread crust but anything more than $2-$3 is a bit ridiculous - so we passed.

Rock & Brew - this is a new restaurant in Paia and it was very good (went here twice). They have gf pizza crust they make themselves (in their LA store - they freeze it and ship it) and it was very good. They make it square so they don't get it mixed up with their other pizzas. No gf bun for the burgers but they serve in a lettuce wrap, and best of all for DH - he was very happy that their french fries were in a gf fryer!

Special Treats:

Ululani's - all of the Shave Ice ingredients (ice cream, flavors, toppings) are gluten-free. Can't go to Maui without going here at least once! (we went 4 times).

Local Boys Shave Ice - went here once and they are also good but not as good as Ululani's. No issues with gluten.

Coconut Glen's Ice Cream on the Road to Hana - really good ice cream - not only gf but also dairy free (made with Coconut Milk).

I think that is about it. Hope this is helpful to others and if you have questions feel free to PM me.

53 replies to this topic
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

Thanks! Great post for newbies dealing with this...glad you had a great experience!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,082 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

Thank you, Imkucala, just added this to the Gluten Free topic in the Top Questions section. Appreciate you doing this!!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

great information- thanks for taking the time! Loved all your reports

antioch
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

thanks, the stepdaughter is a gluten free eater, this will help for future reference

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

The Fairmont restaurants, Ko especially, are excellent choices for special diets. I had a very good gluten free dish there last month... and they have other condition special menu items for easy ordering.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,356 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

Wow! That is a great list of restaurants & other options.

Your info will be helpful to many future or returning Maui visitors. Those requiring a gluten free diet, need stress out about options on Maui now.

Thank you very much!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

Yes that was so nice of you to go into such detail this will be a big help for future visitors.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
399 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

Awesome post, thank you! I am gluten and dairy free and love your suggestions. :)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,356 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

"Those requiring a gluten free diet, need stress out about options on Maui now."

Those requiring a gluten free diet, need not stress out about dining options on Maui now.

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
30 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews

your review was incredibly helpful as 2 in our family are fairly intolerant to gluten. i'm so grateful that we don't have Celiac Disease. thank you so much for taking the time for this ultra helpful review!

Reply to: Maui Gluten Free Experiences/Reviews
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted