We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ag inspection

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ag inspection

I am flying from Maui to Calgary Alberta Canada but I do have to go through Los Angeles. Do I need to get my luggage Ag inspected if I am just transferring through on my way to Canada?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ag inspection

Yes, I believe you do. And you will have to get your hand luggage done for sure, just before you board the plane.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,067 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ag inspection

You will go through Ag inspection before boarding on Maui. Checked bags before going through security, on-board bags on the way to the gate.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ag inspection

Thanks. One more question. If our plane leaves at 8:30 pm how early should we get to the airport, as I know it can take awhile to get through the Ag inspection?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,082 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ag inspection

Ag inspection is usually well run and only takes a few minutes. After that you will have to check in your bags and go through security. This is what takes all the time. I would be at the airport at least 2 hrs. before take off.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,148 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ag inspection

I wouldn't worry about Ag inspection in the least! They run your luggage through a machine. It's quick! Even when there is a line ... it moves along. Then you are free to check your bags.

Security can really slog down, though - so as fishdiva says above, be at the airport 2 hours in advance.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,229 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ag inspection

Ag inspection takes only a minute. From the curb at OGG you put your checked luggage on a conveyor that takes it through a viewer and dumps it out on the other side. Then you take it to the airline counter to be checked.

What can back up is the TSA security line before you get to the departures area and your gate. This is where your carry-on, computer, purse, (whatever) are viewed and possibly gone through by TSA agents. Passengers are checked and possibly 'wanded'. Allow two hours from airport arrival to boarding due to THIS.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ag inspection

There was an additional ag inspection after Security and just before the gate on our last trip. Don't carry apples! (guess how we know?!) :)

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ag inspection

Yes, you do. BLBL, Fishdiva, and ChiSue have it right. Get there 2 hours before and worry about your flight. Please read what they said and comply.

But now I'm just worried about Nesdog.....with all those apples. What's he gonna do with them....make apple pie? LOL

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ag inspection

Perfect, exactly what I needed to know!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ag inspection

<<"Don't carry apples!">>

But if you do, allow time to eat them before your second attempt to get through that checkpoint :))