We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inland vs Beach decision

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Inland vs Beach decision

Hi there! My husband and I are traveling to Maui beginning September 27th and leaving October 5th. We're fairly interested in splitting our time between the beach and the mountains to get a better feel for the island but I'm having problems deciding. I've found an absolutely gorgeous condo that I love that is available for check in September 30th in Kahana. I was hoping to also stay somewhere inland but my first choice is also booked for the 27th-30th. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Budget is around $150 a night and we don't mind it being small or a studio.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

What do you mean by inland? are you talking about the Upcountry area of Maui.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

Or, I've found a lovely farm AND a day spa that both have availability for the second half of my trip but then I'd need to find a new condo for the beginning. Advice on if I should start inland and go outward? Or the other way around?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

Yes, sorry. Upcountry. I've found a farm in Wailuku and a day spa on Mt. Haleakala.

Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

If I were staying inland, I would choose to stay near Kula in order to enjoy Haleakela without having the long drive to get there.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,873 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

Wailuku isn't upcountry. It sits basically at the bottom of Iao Valley. It's also where the county buildings are. Very developed in certain portions. Without knowing where this place actually is (the zip code area of Wailuku also includes Maalaea) I can't recommend it. Haleakala isn't known by the Mt!!

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

Fishdiva - sorry if I've gotten any facts wrong. I've never been to Maui before and am new to this site in general and only have the limited information that vrbo and tripadvisor gives as to where anything is.

I was just asking to get some advice....

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,902 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

You have nine nights on Maui, right? There's no need to split your time; Maui isn't that large.

We'd be able to provide more input if you'd provide a link to the properties you are considering, or their VRBO listing numbers.

Wailuku is pretty much a 'government town'. It's not known for its' resorts as are West and South Maui. It's also often in the shadow of the West Maui Mountains -- at least when we are on Maui in winter.

Haleakala is called just that. (Best we tell you here, eh?)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

fishdiva is right Wailuku is not Upcountry it is what they call central Maui and mostly a residential and main business area on Maui and some areas I have heard can be unsafe at night.

I guess you mean the day spa is on the way up to Haleakala because there are no accommodations in the park area itself. What is the name of this day spa?

Kula is a good suggestion to look for a place to stay upcountry but can't help you with a specific place to stay as we prefer to stay by the ocean. Take a look on VRBO for places in Kula and I know there are some B&B'S there too also check out the Kula Lodge.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

These are the two places that we're considering right now. This one is free the entire time we'll be staying and is in Kahana http://www.vrbo.com/240797#

I found this one in the Iao Valley and it's available at the tail end of our trip. tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g60639-…

I thought it might be nice to split it up to cut down on the drive time to Haleakala and the Road to Hana in the mornings...but maybe it'd be better just to stay in one place?

antioch
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inland vs Beach decision

One of our frequent Maui posters (GLWEBB) stayed in Haiku at the maui ocean breezes and loved it, i could see a 6 night stay at a beach resort/condo coupled with 3 nights upcountry area.

http://www.mauivacationhideaway.com/