We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

I was up and on Kam 1 beach early this morning to catch the golden rays of first light. I love sunrise on Maui and plan to catch it every day I'm here. The photos you can get in that light are amazing.

Unfortunately, they started burning cane at 6 am and it wasn't long before huge plumes of towering smoke covered the sun's rays and then black ash began to fall all around on the beach, the blanket I was sitting on and then I found it hard to breathe. I couldn't stay.

I read up on it and looks like HC&S plan to burn every morning from 6 to 10 am for the next 5 days. Had I known their burn season starts March 13, I would have planned my vacation for earlier than that. I've dealt with the cane smoke on one other vacation and suffered for it, so I'm a bit unhappy it's here again. I won't start a discussion on alternative methods of harvesting that are healthier and less intrusive and more eco-friendly, since I am a tourist and only here a tiny bit in the scheme of things but it's fairly disappointing that the trades have died down a bit, the waves are smooth for swimming and I won't be able to enjoy my early mornings on the beach as much while they burn the cane. Just thought I'd post a heads up for those staying in the Kihei area.

I guess I'll be burning gas to head up north. I hear they have stopped the practice of burning cane in the Lahaina area.

I'm trying to post a blog but taking too much time to learn the blog stuff, so I'll be posting a regular trip report and a link to some pictures somewhere else, I hope.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

:( sorry! Yes no cane burning on the west. Hope you can find a nice place to go away from it. You could probably head further south too? But you still might get some. When I was out on the water once I witnessed the smoke and it didn't look good!

Don't worry about the blog while on vacation. Have fun and enjoy your time. We will take any kind of report when you are ready! I still have to finish my report from the end of March!

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

Are they burning it for only 5 days or continuing sometime after? I'll be there in 14 days.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,057 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

The prevailing wind runs right down the valley between Kahului and Maalaea Bay. (This is also the usual landing pattern for OGG.) We've seen the smoke trail as we drove down from the West Maui mountains; held our breaths through Maalaea and North Kihei (LOL); and been in clean air before reaching Azeka Place in central Kihei.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

This is where I found the schedule for when they burn cane.

http://hcsugar.com/sugarcane-burn-schedule/

They've updated the area closest to Kihei to say only two more days, May 1st and 2nd. But Stephen S, I would check as you get closer to your dates, they burn here for up to 9 months during the spring and summer according to some accounts I've read.

ChiSue: I was on Kam 1 this morning, I think that is considered more south than Azeka Place and it was solid smoke drifting with a strong smell, and black ash all over the cars in the parking lot at the beach and all over the beach itself, including on the green blanket I was sitting on. I brushed some of it and it sunk into the blanket. hope it comes out! I had to finally escape and go indoors, as I couldn't breathe. I don't have asthma or other lung issues and I've never smoked. I worry about those who do have problems.

I plan to go as far south as Kam 3 tomorrow and hope for better luck enjoying my early morning on the beach. I love sunrise and the times the beaches are so quiet with only a few people and their dogs. :)

Skies are clear this afternoon with the trades up, so I doubt it lingers long after they stop burning, I guess around 10 am.

Level Contributor
449 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

Flwrgrdn,

Oh that sucks! I was just on Kam 1 yesterday afternoon and it was gorgeous. Cannot imagine it with the smoke.

No trace of it on the West side, and Kaanipali was perfect when I was down there earlier this morning. Perhaps it is time for a change of scenery. :(

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

The trades really picked up today. Sorry you experienced the cane burning. They stopped the practice in west Maui because there is no more sugar cane there to burn. Come down to Makena,didn't even realize there was cane burning today!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,057 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

Wow, that is really unusual, flwrgrdn! So far, 2014 has been one strange year in so many places. We 'escaped' a terrible winter in Chicagoland, but had a huge amount of rain in South Maui -- is it still green?

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

I have to admit that the cane burning dies not affect me one but and I was a severe asthmatic as a child. I have been there plenty during burnings, almost every visit and it seems to be a night time event. I guess I look at those fields with affection, could care less about the putrid smell so many others decry and just say amen to the jobs they provide. We actually LOVE the sugar cane fields of south Maui.

I am sorry that it affected your happiness and glad you were able to move into a happier place. Have a wonderful day today!!! Deb

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

Deb, I love the cane fields too! I took so many pictures of them, I hope they keep them! They are what Maui is for me, the ability to keep those wide open fields and that agriculture base. I would hate to see those fields of green waving cane stalks go away and be replaced with buildings, high rises, condos, paving, etc. That wasn't my point. And it isn't a night time event, it is an early morning event, (according to their website) from 6 am to 10 am.

There are many countries that do cane harvesting without burning, and I work for a state agency in another state, that is all about ecosystems that would fully recommend and indeed insist on keeping the agriculture but just finding a better/healthier way to harvest than the burns. But as I said, not for me to say, I'm not a local, and I would hate to see them lose any jobs, it's not my place.

I just didn't like the heavy smoke and ash as it drove me off the beach. There were many locals on the beach in the early morning with their dogs, they were complaining and pointing and covering their nose and mouths too. I was just posting this here for those that might need to avoid the area while the burns were going on, for health reasons. I figured that was a legit post and hopefully some helpful to others.

I'm headed up north to the Kealia Pond and beaches up north this morning. I'll just do other things if they are still burning. Didn't mean to stir up controversy.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Burning cane in the Kihei area next 5 days, just a heads up

Oh no!!! Please do not take my words harshly! As I reread them, I realized they seemed a little touchy. And thanks for the info cause I admit ignorance! I am all for better ways of doing things.

I think part of my take was that I live in Alaska and we have our own issues with exploration and oil fields! Lol.....I live in a state that is equal to Hawaii about not being interested in an outsider POV! Those d@#m lower 48'ers!

Lol.....and every time we drive past those fields and the plant, my son complains about the smell. I want to tell him that it is the smell of jobs and why can't he remember to plug his perfect nose!

No controversy from me lady! You go have the best day ever on Maui. If it wasn't fifty degrees here and sunshine, I would be jealous!!! Deb