We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui accomodations on beach

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Maui accomodations on beach

Hi there, I just booked our flight to Hawaii for the first 2 weeks + in September (16 nights). I have posted a couple weeks back, but now getting more into more research for where to stay.

We are going on our 10year anniversary trip. This is our first trip there and we will be flying into Honolulu and flying home out of Maui. I am thinking of dividing up the trip giving each island even time, but that is not set in stone, as I don’t have our flights booked for the inter-island part yet.

Oahu week 1

Maui week 2

I love to walk the beach, get into the water, snorkel and take in surroundings. I don’t need to be hiking, traveling, doing or seeing something the entire trip.

For places to stay in Oahu and Maui: Ideally, would love to have a place where you could see the beach and ocean from your lanai. And if that is not affordable, definitely want to be close enough to the beach to walk to and from the hotel. Prefer to be on a location that has access to nice swimming/approachable waters. We typically are not big resort type of travelers and we don’t golf. It would be nice to have comfort amentities, but for me the most important part is access to the beach and being close to the nice part of the water.

To start, I am thinking my budget of $250 a maximum per night for one half of the trip and possibly less for the another half of it.

For Maui, from what I read, looks like the Kaanapali Beach hotel is on the best part of the island, but not necessarily the greatest accommodations. The reviews are quite mixed, and it would also be nice to have a kitchen to have at least breakfast and lunch in and dinners out. The Whaler looks nice too and seems more affordable then some of the other places.

Another recommendation was to stay in southern Maui. How do those beaches/accommodations/experience compare to Kaanapali Beach?

Would it be too much to move to 2 locations while in Maui?

One thought would be to do 5 nights in Oahu, 6 nights in Kaanapali beach and 5 nights in Southern Maui.

Thanks in advance for your help J

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

Maui is small enough that most people just stay in one place, and explore the island from wherever they decide to stay. September is a quieter time on Maui, so your budget is quite good, and you should be able to find a nice place for that price.

That doesn't mean you can't split your stay, but you have t think about the logistics. Will you have perishable good left over that you have to throw out, or transport to the next condo? And when is check out time? And then the new check in time? How many hours will you be "homeless" with all our luggage stored in a trunk, and the possibility of some perishable food?

Ka'anapali and South Maui is apples and oranges. If you were to stay in Wailea, that would be comparable to Ka'anapali, but there are still some differences. Wailea has a bunch of "pocket" beaches, whereas Ka'anapali is one long beach. Wailea is still south Maui, just south of Kihei. Not sure what you could get in Wailea with that budget though, even in September.

Have you had an opportunity to check out VRBO at all? Also, check out ChasenRainbows for West Maui.

2. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:35
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

Look at Maui Kaanapali villas... There may be something in your budget...spread out and on fabulous part of beach. Definitely check out Chase'N rainbows...you may find something in price range on ocean...just not on best part of beach but most people move around and try many different beaches while here.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

When you are booking that inter island flight, try to get a late morning, or early afternoon flight. That way, you can check out of your Oahu hotel, get to the airport, and then by the time you are on Maui, you will be able to get the rental car, maybe pick up some groceries, libations, and snacks, and then check in to your next "home". Or at least you shouldn't have long to wait for check in time then.

Also, the sooner you book that inter island flight, the cheaper it will be.

You will also get a better rate for a condo if you stay a week or longer. The same goes for the rental car. A weekly rate is also better than the daily rate.

A great place for the rental car is www.discounthawaiicarrental.com or Costco, if you are a member.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

Personally I would reduce the time on Oahu and spend more time on Maui.

As for your $250 limit that should give you a lot of choices in September. Honokowai, just North of Kaanapali is our favorite area and there is several complexes that with be well under that price that time of year. We will be there in Sept also and we will be staying at the Kaleialoha for the second time. Their most expensive unit is $169 and many of their units have A/C and washer and dryer. Plus they have no cleaning fee for stays 7 days or more. The complexes in this area have varying sizes of beaches but they are direct ocean front with no road between the complex and the beach.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

Great tips, thank you for all the replies!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

Chasen'rainbows is now www.westmauicondos.com Don't forget you will need to add 14% tax to the base nightly rate and check to see if there is free parking or another "resort" fee.

Honokawai and Kahana are lovely in Sept.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

I'd stay fewer nights (in a hotel) on Waikiki, then stay longer (in ONE condo) on Maui. Another option for Maui is a condo, then a splurge at a hotel for your Grand Finale! (Honeymooners do this. Why not you?)

You have an agency link for West Maui condos. Here are two for South Maui: Agency, www.crhmaui.com; By-Owner, www.mauiownercondos.com

This site shows almost every lodging in Hawaii: www.hawaiirevealed.com

September rates should be a tad lower. It's a 'shoulder season'. You can check some places pegged a bit over your budget and ask for some reduction. If you rent for at least a full week, you may not have to pay a cleanout cost.

September is hot. You'll want A/C, and I'd avoid top floor or due-west-facing condos. *Beachfront* condos on good swimming beaches may run more than you think... but maybe not in September. There are condos walking distance to good beaches though.

When you decide your dates on Maui, reserve your rental car where you can cancel and re-book if rates drop. You may only want a car for a day to drive around the shores of Oahu. (Hotels will charge for parking -- another plus for condos on Maui where you won't pay to park or pay a daily 'resort fee'.)

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

Thanks ChiSue- the Hawaii revealed site is so great to see all the accommodations from the aerial view.

We have 16 nights total. We are now playing around with the idea of:

Waikiki for 3 nights

Fly to either Kaui or the Big island for 6 nights (still need to do more research)

Fly to Maui for 7 nights

Currently researching:

1. Trying to determine if it is worth staying longer on Oahu (need to research North end)

2. For Maui: Trying to figure out differences between Napali, Kahana Area, Honokowai Area and Ka‘anapali Area and what accommodations would be the best area to stay with great beach access (either to sit on and/or and approachable waters (without a lot of rocks, undertows etc.).

3. For possibly going to other islands, do we pick Kaui or Big Island and then which region do we stay in.

4. Just bought Fodors 2014 Hawaii Travel book today. I was going to get Hawaii for dummies, but the last update to the book was 2011.

:)

Edited: 02 May 2014, 18:33
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui accomodations on beach

The Big Island is BIG, as big as all the other islands combined. With just 6 nights there, you would be just scraping the surface. It is always best to split your stay there as well, one or two nights in Volcano or Hilo, and the rest on the west side. Ideally, you would fly into one side of the island, and then fly out the other.

With your time constraints, I'd be heading to Kaua'i.

But I would fly into Oahu first, then go to Kaua'i, and then get an inter-island non stop flight to Maui, and then fly home to New York from Maui. Hopefully, you wouldn't have to go through Honolulu again.