We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter

Has anyone rented scooters in Maui? I thought it would be a good idea to ride scooters down the same road people ride the bikes from the volcano.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter

Have you thought about how you are going to get the scooter up there to ride it down there is a big elevation change going up. Most of the people that ride the bikes down they are transported up for them.

Now no I don't think that is a good idea at all most of us feel the scooters are not a good idea in Hawaii not safe really. For the record I don' t think the bikes are safe either.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,728 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter

It's not very safe riding scooters in many areas on Maui due to the volume of traffic, lack of bike lanes, roads that are too narrow for cars to pass you safely, and sharing the roads with tourists who aren't always clued in to where and how they are driving. Unless you're really experienced at riding one on winding/switchback, steep roads that are only wide enough for cars (i.e. no bike lane) I wouldn't attempt it. It would be way too easy to lose control and hit a vehicle or ride off the side of the road and into the rocks.

Suggest driving to the summit in your car and spend some time exploring/hiking up there ... you'll have a fantastic time!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter

Thanks for the advise. Didn't realize the elevation change. Think we will rent bikes and take them up instead.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter

We are all experienced motorcycle drivers. Think we will just rent the mopeds for a few hours to explore.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,663 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter

There have some fatalities on Maui in recent weeks with scooters. Please do a search before committing to renting a scooter.

Haleakala is at 10,000 feet. It can be very cold up there, and windy.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,351 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter

Motorcycles are bigger and faster. The scooters can't keep up with traffic. Much more dangerous.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,001 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter

Please don't rent scooters or mopeds. They are truly a hazard here.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 02:17
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooter

You do need to google this and see how many accidents there are...not necessarily that you would be the problem with a lot of experience..but through you into a road that does not have a bike lane and people not paying the best attention..very dangerous.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooter

I actually find that the tourist on the scooters here in Kihei are much more courteous. It's the darn people that live here. They can't decide (on Kihei Rd) if they want to be in the bike lane to pass you on the right or jump back in to the traffic flow

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,001 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scooter

Lower Road is much the same--but not once they get onto Honoap'iilani............they are all over the place and ride like idiots (along with some locals who do too).

Whether it's a driver or a rider's fault, a car vs. scooter/moped accident almost always results in more serious injuries to the rider. The hospital and clinics stay plenty busy from the frequent wrecks.