We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

This is the first day I've not been up and out on the beach very early. I'm moving slow this morning, as I was woken up at about 4 after some earlier insomnia and finally falling back to sleep, by a mouse sitting on my bedroom nightstand trying to get into a pack of gum! Scared me to death. I probably woke half the neighborhood. I'm very very careful about all food being sealed and in the fridge and doing all dishes right away. I don't leave anything out (except tea bags, which I will now also put in the fridge) and I actually walked the small amount of garbage I have down to the curb when the truck came early yesterday morning, because I didn't know when garbage day was and just happened to hear the truck coming. I guess mr mousie just wanted the mint of the gum. That now goes into the fridge as well. :)

I was so scared I couldn't go back to sleep for a long time and then only with the light on. I'm sure it was a one time thing and I'll let the cottage owners know this morning when they are up. But it was a rough start to my last day.

I plan to relax on the beach most of the day anyway. I saw a news article on Maui Now that mice might be becoming an issue on Maui lately? I will say this is the first time in all the years and all the places I've stayed since I started coming to Hawaii in the early 80s I've ever seen a mouse. I'm familiar with a few little critters and expect it and that's why I'm so careful (after all it is the tropics and I expect a few lil buggers, but there usually aren't many if you are careful and I've seen none at the cottage but a few tiny ghost ants and only one day) but a mouse sure surprised me.

Anyway, I'm going to get a shaved ice today at Local Boy's! Haven't had one yet, any recommendations on favorite flavors? I tend to go with coconut and/or mango. Do you put cream on top or skip that part? I kinda like it with macadamia nut ice cream on the bottom. :)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

Enjoy your last day!

I read on Mauiwatch on FB that there have been a lot of mice lately because of the heavy rains.

I've only had shave ice once in all my trips and that was on Kauai but we got it with the mac nut ice cream and then the cream top can't remember what flavor though. I plan on getting some at U'ulani's on our trip we arrive on maui next friday by the way woo hoo! and I think I would get coconut,lilikoi and lychee.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,328 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

Mice are an invasive species, in more ways than one!! Have a great day. I don't eat shave ice so can't help you with that, sorry!!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
74 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

You wouldn't think they'd go for gum, but I guess now we know they do! Yikes. Oh enjoy the shave ice, we went to Ululani's 3 times while we were there. Not sure Local Boy's have the same flavors but I got the Pe'ahi-coconut, mango, liliko with toasted coconut...YUM! Hope it's a beautiful last day for you.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

"Flowergarden", after probably chewing on a bunch of wood, that mouse wanted to refresh his breath on some mint gum. :) Aloha! I had my first and only shave ice on Kaua'i!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

Hope you can get some sleep tonight. The MauiWatch page on FB has several post about the mice problem on the island. Not fun to know one of those critters was on the nightstand.

What shave ice flavor did you decide to try?

Have a good flight home. Thanks for taking time to post.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,596 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

Not the way I want to wake up, eyeballing a mouse on my dresser! We live in an old house and on occasion, they find their way in. You are great at rolling with unexpected surprises. Thanks for the fun reports! Deb

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

Would have scared me too because it was unexpected

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

Hope you had an awesome last day! Sorry about Mr. Mousie!

9. Re: Last full day, moving sloowwwwww, today beach and shave ice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:16