We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water visibility

California
Level Contributor
364 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Water visibility

Is there a website or app that can tell you the water visibility at a certain site on a certain day?

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water visibility

This sight doesn't so much give you water clarity but water conditions which should give you an idea of what water clarity should be. I have not actually checked this sight yet for accuracy but many have recommended it. I have heard a few times though it was not accurate on a certain day. But it should help in planning snorkeling.

www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/dive-and-snorkel/

2. Re: Water visibility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 13:35
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water visibility

I dont go snorkeling if its not good conditions, instead of trying to snorkel anyway because if I don't it means I have wasted a morning on a bad spot. I have found hawaii weather today good for general viz trends in certain areas. Also, you can call dive shops. I also ask people leaving the beach as I arrive.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,898 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water visibility

The site that Dreamin linked will give you a good idea. I check it when on island to see if snorkeling looks good on the west side before we drive over to snorkel (we usually stay on the south side).

It's also helpful if a storm swell has rolled through and you want to know if the visibility is clearing for a certain area.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Water visibility

bbscuba.com

This is a very good site. B&B Scuba is a boat out of the Kihei Boat ramp.

Each day they update the dive conditions for south Maui

The first dive is always almost Molokini and the 2nd is usually along the south shore.

It give you water visibility, temperature and what animals they saw that day

They keep almost a month's worth of info on there so you can see what the trends are.

It makes perfect sense to try and pick good visibility spots before you go if you can

Edited: 08 May 2014, 06:15
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Water visibility

Forgot to mention... agree it is a good idea to check with the dive shops and snorkel rental shops. Snorkel Bob's has a shop in Kihei and Napili. You can check with each before you decide where to drive.

Quite often whole sides of the island south vs west will have completely different water conditions as far as visibility and swells. This will save you gas and time.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Water visibility

I've found the site linked by Dreamin to be more than accurate enough for snorkeling. I've also seen it noting when they are "on vacation" therefore not updating.

Wouldn't it be swell if people just recommended what they know without the sanctimonious lecturing? We know mother, you've done it all and so many times. blah blah blah.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water visibility

Patrick, I'm glad this site has worked for you. I've had it book marked in my phone for our trip in September. I like the idea of taking advantage of this wonderful electronic age when it can save me precious time on my hard earned vacation. I'd hate to wake up in Honokowai one morning and say, "Lets go check out Ahihi today." only to find it's rotten conditions after an hours drive.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water visibility

This is the one I have used since I started coming to Hawaii and went out with Ocean Project. They recommended it and it helps me decide which way to head.

http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com

California
Level Contributor
364 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water visibility

Thanks for the links everyone, this is just what I was looking for!

Only 1 more day now...