We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time do we leave for the airport

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
What time do we leave for the airport

This is a Tuesday and what time should we leave Wailea for the airport? Our flight leaves at 3:07 and we have to drop a rental car off.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

We always give it 3 hours and take our time. The security line can be very slow at times.

Here is a hint to save time and hassle. Go to the airport with the rental car and drop off the bags. You get a porter who will handle the bags and get your boarding passes for you. My wife stays with the bags, I show the porter my drivers license and then take the car back. We tip at least $20..well worth it

By the time I get back my wife is waiting for me with our boarding passes. If the security line is super long she will already be in line

Kentucky
Level Contributor
529 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

We always allow 2 hours when not dropping off rental car and 3 hours when we have to drop off a rental. Usually we take advantage of the rental cars shuttle and load our bags on it back to the airport.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

When flying to the mainland, you have to put your checked bags through the agricultural inspection before checking them in. I check in 2hrs. before a mainland flight but 3 isn't bad either!!

California
Level Contributor
6,816 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

Do yourself a favor and stop off along the way and buy sandwiches and snacks to take on the plane. Much better than anything available at the airport and it'll save you money.

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

Some poke from Tamura's on the way to OGG, sealed in a collapsible cooler with napkins & chopsticks, is what we did last time and it worked out great.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

Hubby & I were there last month and flew out of OGG to Honolulu....we were there 2 1/2 hours before flight..we had to drop off rental car too....the line was long and slow.

Then, that same week, we left Honolulu for airport w/ a shuttle service. They picked us up 3 hrs before flight...with the traffic, by the time we got to the airport, went to the agriculture check, then checking in our luggage, went through security, we had 30 minutes to get a burger at Burger King and get to our gate...it worked out great....But, I definitely would not want to have any less time than 3 hours flying mainland...the airport was busy.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
17 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

When I was flying last month from OGG, security line was super fast, nothing like in the mainland. Keep your shoes on, keep your cellphones in your pockets, just go-go-go. Usually I have enough time standing in line to get bored and impatient. But last time I couldn't even pause to get my boarding pass out of my backpack.

We started 4 hours before the flight time (with rental car drop), and it turned out to be unnecessary - every step on the way was very quick.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

We fly to from Maui to HNL, and have a 3 hour layover to Chicago.

9. Re: What time do we leave for the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:18