We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip in 2015 - have questions

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
544 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First trip in 2015 - have questions

My husband and I have been to Oahu before. This time we are planning a family trip to Maui - my husband, myself, and twin daughters (11 yrs old). After reading, seems like Kannapali will suit us better.

I have been browsing this thread for few weeks now and have newbie questions. We always stay at the hotels and resorts and never condos.

1. What are the pros and cons of staying in a condo in Maui? How is it different from staying at a hotel?

2. If choosing between July and August - which one would you choose?

Thank you!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,472 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

I stay on Maui every July- August with kids your daughters' ages. It is a busier time with families of course, but I never find it outrageously busy. We stay in condos now because it is just so comfortable! You have more space, you can have a separate bedroom from the kids. The kitchen is wonderful. Now we don't cook there! BUT, it is great to have our supply of beverages and some snacks. We will have fruit and cereal/toast etc for breakfast some mornings instead of going out. We may go out for a lunch while out and about, so we just want cheese/crackers and fruit on the lanai later. Some people do find they like to cook though. It is just very convenient. The extra space is wonderful also. With 2 kids we usually get a 2 bathroom condo which makes it easier. The last thing is the washer and dryer. We don't pack as much because we have a washer and dryer in our unit and when we get back at night we will just through in a small load. Some condos have the resort feel and amenities. Some are more basic. You can find one that suits you.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 16:44
San Diego...
Level Contributor
822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

I like the condo route for convenience of having supplies to make a meal, have breakfast items, etc. But if you see yourself dining out for every meal, I don't know if its worth it! Having two kids coming along might make a condo a major plus! You'll have more space to spread out! The upside of a hotel is usually nicer pools, etc, which is good when you have 11 year olds! Honua Kai might be a nice compromise between the two since its a condo-tel. As for time of year, I've been in Maui over July 4th weekend and it was a great time. Napili Bay had a fireworks contest on the sand and we had a blast! Typically though, I prefer late August/early September because I feel it is less crowded, the water is warmer (I'm a baby when it comes to being cold), and rates are lower!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,898 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

Another vote for the condo from me! Even when it is just my husband and I, we always get a condo. We are in the cook at the condo camp though. But you don't have to, if you don't want to.

It is so much easier to eat breakfast at the condo. It can take a while to get four people out the door in the morning, and I just find it easier for everyone to eat what they want, when they want, as everyone is getting ready.

Not every condo will have a washer and dryer IN the unit, but there is usually a laundry room for your use somewhere in the complex. Less clothes means more room in your luggage for all the wonderful souvenirs you will be purchasing while there.

Check out VRBO to see some of the condos available. You can add filters, and that will give you less to go through. Start by plunking in some dates, how many bedrooms and bathrooms you want, and if you want oceanfront or oceanview. Check the pictures! Some descriptions can be a bit "off".

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

condo becomes a home away from home. More room, usually separate bedrooms, 2 bathrooms,many cases the lanais are larger and eating out all the time really drives up the budget. Also if you have a full beach day it is nice to just be able to grab at bite at home and crash rather than have to get in the car and get dinner when everyone s tired. Just gives you lots of options.

Kihei and south Maui have lots of condos as well

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,472 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

I just noticed you had done research and thought the Kaanapali area would be good. We stay on the west side as well, although in the past we did the south. If you decide to do a condo, Chase'N Rainbows, http://www.westmauicondos.com/

is a good company to go with on the west side as well as Quam Properties

rentalprorentals.com/quamproperties/search.c…

Honua Kai, Westin Villas, Maui Kaanapali Villas and Kaanapali Ali will give you a more resort feel. There are also great condos for lower budgets.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,061 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

A 2BR condo would be less expensive than two hotel rooms of the same quality. Many offer everything a hotel has except room service. (You can still dine or book a spa day, etc. at any hotel.) Some condos have daily maid service built into the rate; some can arrange it for an extra fee. Few condos have daily 'resort fees' or charge for parking -- and your car is usually only a few steps from your door; no waiting for a valet. You aren't tipping someone around every corner either.

Unless you book a suite, a hotel provides one room with one bath, and possibly a postage stamp balcony. Many condos have two or three times as much space, with large lanai, separate living room, dining area, kitchen, two baths, full kitchen, washer/dryer, and a parking space.

We can try to 'match' your family to some nice condos if we know your lodging budget.

This site has aerials and reviews of almost every lodging in Hawaii: www.hawaiirevealed.com

BTW, Maui's main sights are more convenient from Wailea and South Kihei than from West Maui. (See map.) If you plan to be primarily Kaanapali/Lahaina, West is best! Aside from the Ritz in Kapalua, most of Maui's highest rated hotels are in Wailea.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

A lot of the Maui condos have some of the extra amenities that hotels have.

Like front desk, concierge, shops and restaurants.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

My wife and I used to be hotel/resort type people...and don't get me wrong, we still love the resort atmosphere, but I'd much rather have a condo where it feels more like a home and having a small kitchen, living area, and a separate bedroom than staying in a hotel room where you end up using the bed as your couch.

We are not big breakfast eaters, so we like the condo for keeping cereal and milk or English muffins/bagels and butter. Then we can also pack our own lunch and head to the beach...nothing like eating lunch in your beach chair with front row views of the ocean. Although we like to eat out for most of our dinners, I still like to cook out once or twice. Nothing like grabbing a beer and spatula and heading down to the grills to cook a steak or fresh fish on the grill. Once again, if you have an ocean view, there is no better setting to cook your own meal.

The washers and dryers are a nice addition too. Many condos are like a resort anyway. You have many of the amenities that a resort has with typically more room inside the condo.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
544 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

Travelbugged - Thank you!

Lauren H - I am a baby too when it comes to cold water (lol) - So anything after aug 10th would be good?

Joan - to search on VRBO - do we need membership or anything like that? have never checked it out...I Must.

John - Thanks!

ChiSue - Great beach is a must - are beaches in South and West the same?

JimGloria - Thanks!

PensFan - Thank you!

When does it rain in Maui?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,898 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip in 2015 - have questions

No membership needed for VRBO. It is just a place for owners to advertise. You can post some links for some of the places here, on this forum if you like. Then people can give their opinions about the place. You would be amazed at how many people on here may have stayed at the complex that you were interested in. It's a great place to get some feedback about things.

It rains in Maui just about every day, somewhere! There are so many micro climates. Besides, no rain, no rainbows! And the rain is wonderful, so warm. Most of the time, it is just a sprinkle and moves on, except somethings they can get a winter storm.

And then sometimes it rains just at night. Everything is so nice and fresh then, and GREEN! The waterfalls are more plentiful after a rain as well, if you are going to drive the Road to Hana. I don't think you should get much rain in July and August.