We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Mother's day

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report Mother's day

This is my first trip report. Hope it captures the feelings and experiences we had. First off a little background. It was a mother/daughter trip to celebrate mothers day. We are both moms. I am 40 and my mother is a young 67. This was my 3 rd trip to Maui and 4th trip to Hawaii. Mom's first trip to Maui.

Day 1 flight from Oakland was smooth and on time. It put us in Maui about 11am. Went and got the rental car which was a two door compact. In hindsight I should have gotten a larger car as it was really low to the ground. My mom called it a lay down car. Also the visibility wasn't great.

We drove up to kaanapali and took a quick stop for lunch at kimos. Great location on the water and we both enjoyed our lunch. Then we window shopped for awhile to kill time before check-in. This was a good move because we could compare items and prices for later in the trip.

About 2 pm we headed to Maui kaanapali villas. Checked in early and went to our one bedroom unit. First off opened the door and was disappointed in the room. It was hot in there and pretty dated. Turned on the air. Two hours later we are still hot. I get mad and tell mom we are moving. So we pack our stuff and I go be the bad guy at the desk. Actually all I had to say is the air isn't working and we need a new room. The lady was nice and gave us a new key and said to check out this other room. So off we go hoping for a better room. Wow! This was the best room. Walk in to a room that is cool and updated. Love it! Turns out to be in a much better location too. With a little ocean view and close to the main pool and lobby for getting coffees and items from the in-house store. We were happy with our new room.

So we were tired and just went to dinner at the onsite restaurant Castaways. I think we went to bed at 9 which was midnight our time zone.

Day two will follow. Excuse the typos as I am working on my tablet.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

great start. like how you snagged that nicer room! Assertive :)

Dave

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

Waiting to hear more about your Mother's Day Trip. Good that you spoke up and got a nice room with a working a/c.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

I'm glad the room exchange worked out. I'm waiting to hear more, thanks for reporting!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

Sarah.....that was so cool how you went off to be the bad guy and discovered that they were just easy to please you and mom. Whew! But you were going to handle if and I like your style.

I have been busy lately, but have been looking forward to trip reports from you about your trip!!! I especially was interested in your fun cause of my mom and daughter trip. More please!!! Deb

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

What a nice way to start the trip, with lunch at Kimo's!

Glad to hear you were able to get a better room as well. I find that all the condos I enter are always so hot and stuffy from being closed up for the day, or longer. But two hours should have been plenty of time to cool it off.

Will be looking forward to the next report, whenever you have the time.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

Thanks for your comments. I think I will start a new thread for each day. I read trip reports and that is my preferred format. Also want to thank swmarket and jebett (from Kauai) for recommending the MKV as a good place to stay. We liked that it wasn't crowded and that it was right on kaanapali beach. It was perfect! Doubt I would feel that way in the dated room without air...

More to come tomorrow. Back home mom duties make it hard to do more than a little bit everyday.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

Thanks for sharing your first day. Kimo's is one of my favorite restaurants. I know it's not the fanciest or greatest food, but it just has a great vibe to me. Glad you enjoyed it and glad you got your room changed.

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

I'm glad you got a room you were happy with! Sounds like a very nice time in paradise! :).

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

A mother-daughter trip sounds so special and how cool to be there for Mother's Day! So glad that you were able to get a better room too!

10. Re: Trip Report Mother's day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:17