We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Honeymoon

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Maui Honeymoon

We are planning our honeymoon in October. We are going to both Maui and Kauai for 5 nights each. Our travel agent suggested staying in the Makena Beach Resort on Maui and the Koa Kea resort on Kauai. These are both pretty expensive and would take up a significant portion of our budget. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on other places to stay on Maui. We were originally thinking of spending a couple of nights in Hana, but I have heard mixed reviews on it. I have heard that there is not much to do in that area, the beaches/water are not as nice, and the weather tends to be cloudy. If that is the case I do not want to spend 2 or 3 of our 5 nights on Maui in the Hana area.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best places to stay or sights to see on Maui? We will have four full days to enjoy Maui and want to make sure that we get to see at least some of the great things Maui has to offer. We enjoy the beach, hiking, and just want to make sure that we experience some of the beautiful aspects of the island. I know we will not be able to see everything, but I guess that is what a return trip can be for. The Makena resort seems to be a good value as it is not too expensive but seems very nice, but if anybody has experience at that resort that would be very helpful. Also suggestions about other hotels will be appreciated.

We also looked at the Maui Coast Hotel which is a little bit less expensive, but I dont want to sacrifice too much quality and want to make sure we have a comfortable and clean place to stay. We are also open to the idea of staying in a cottage or condo that might put us closer to the Hawaii culture and out of the resort/tourist feel.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Nightly lodging budget?? That would be helpful. I would look at condos in Kihei area. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Honeymoon

OK, kiddo, you are all over the map when asking for accommodation recs. What can you afford per night? Including taxes and resort fees? We are more than willing to help, but we do better with numbers!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Honeymoon

The bonus with the Makena Resort, is that they don't charge resort fees, or parking fees. Pool is not so nice, but it is situated on a wonderful beach. It is as far south on Maui as you can get, so quiet. They also will shuttle you into the Shops at Wailea for dinners, or lunch, or???

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Honeymoon

My budget is flexible as I can be flexible with my budget in Kauai if I need to. Makena is about $282 a night total and the recommendation I got for Kauai is about $433 a night. I am torn between staying in a cottage on Kauai in which case I could get a place for about $160 a night which would save a considerable amount of money and I could spend more on activities or on my lodging in Maui.

If I had to put a number on it I would say less than $350 a night no Maui, but as mentioned it could be flexible. I just want to make sure we get a comfortable and clean place where we can get the full Maui experience.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Would you recommend staying in Makena or Lahaina? Any suggestions on places to stay in the $200-$275 range in Lahaina?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Honeymoon

I mentioned VRBO in your other thread. Have you had any time to take a look at their website yet?

And also, you need to clarify Lahaina. It is confusing, as there is Lahaina town, and then Ka'anapali and other areas north that use Lahaina as their mailing address. These other neighbourhoods are 10 - 20 minutes north of Lahaina town.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Honeymoon

We have checked out VRBO periodically. Here are some we found near Lahaina. We are not sure which area is best, but we figured anywhere in the Lahaina area would keep us close to to that side of town. We are just worried that if we stay in Makena we will be too far away from everything going on in Lahaina. Here are some VRBO's that seem pretty nice but I am not too sure about the location as I am not completely familiar with the area.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Honeymoon

To make is easier for others to comment..

http://www.vrbo.com/242994

http://www.vrbo.com/23474

http://www.vrbo.com/385145

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Just so you know, you can search vrbo.com with a map . . . then you can see exactly where they are at. If you get back on vrbo, look to the right hand side of the page - you can view them as a list or on a map. Sometimes that can be just what you need.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Honeymoon

Third one is right in Lahaina town. But two bedrooms?

Actually, the second one is two bedrooms as well. That loft bedroom has the potential to be very warm. It is also north of Lahaina town, and north of Ka'anapali Beach where all the resorts are. Would the owner give you a discount if you are just using the one bedroom? Worth asking about.

I actually like the first one best. Good price, and just north of Lahaina town. I wonder if it is too far to walk though. Just thinking about how nice to be able to walk to restaurants, without having to worry about a designated driver. Nice to be so close to the ocean as well.