We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
436 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Arrival day

Who are we - 3 40's something and 1-19 year old out for some fun in the sun, without any pressure to be anywhere most days.

3 of the 4 of us arrived fairly close to 1 pm. The one who was early actually went over and picked up the rental-Nissan Armada, when we expected a minivan. She picked each of us up curbside, and it worked well. Arriving mid-day on a Wednesday, we headed for Costco. It wasn't bad, even parked darn close to the door. It was reasonable - with alcohol, a few trinkets to take home, breakfast items (fresh fruits & eggs) along with enough for 4 nights worth of dinner it is was about $400. NOT BAD! Made a quick stop at Times Market for small portions of cheese, mayo, etc and out for $40...

Off we went to Honua Kai. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! What a great place, mountain and ocean views, comfy beds and just a nice ambiance. Made our calls home and settled in. Had rotisserie chicken & Caesar salad for dinner and off to bed we went, it was a long day of traveling.

Day 2

We had a West Maui Sail booked with Trilogy at 7:45 and since we were all up before 6, we had plenty of time to get there. Made a quick run to Starbucks, grabbed an easy parking spot in the garage between Kaanapali Beach Hotel and the Sheraton, which required no validation.

Met our sail mates at the excursion hut and we ended up walking a bit further toward Whalers Village to load, as there was quite a shore break at the original loading spot. It has been raining quite a bit, so apparently the West Maui Sail was off. We headed south to Olawalu, which I was excited about. 3 of the 4 of us decided to snuba, so we were given instructions as we made our way down the coast. I am so glad to have tried, but my ears cannot take the pressure. I thought it was just when I snorkeled, but this is constant. Our instructor was Mike and he was patient and great with all of us. I have always wanted to get certified to scuba dive and he suggested seeing a doctor to see if they could help me deal with the pressure better.

The staff was very attentive, especially since 2 of the 4 got motion sickness. The lunch was fabulous. We stopped after lunch and snorkeled at Mala reef which is beautiful and I saw a few turtles, one was HUGE!! The winds were not good enough to sail back, so we got the second snorkel stop, GREAT trade in my book. We had a wonderful day, we saw dolphins a few times, ate well & were treated like the crew genuinely cared. Just the best, once again I was impressed by the service of Trilogy's crew.

We disembarked at Whalers Village once again, so we wandered all around, & enjoying the afternoon. Got back to our condo around 3, showered went to Duke's for dinner/happy hour. Less than $100 for drinks, dinner & dessert for 4. Not too bad!

We sat on the lanai, relaxed and enjoyed watching the sunset while typing this update. I am once again a happy girl on Maui...

Tomorrow we are thinking we may hit the Farmer's Market & take a drive to the north. Looking forward to another day of fun and relaxation.

Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Sail Maui
Sail Maui
1,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,505 Reviews
Maui, HI
Whalers Village Museum
Whalers Village Museum
1,493 Reviews
Maui, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Sounds great Wagges we arrive tomorrow about 11am can't wait to see Maui again.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Great start....want to hear more when you have time. We stayed at Honua Kai last April and loved it...

Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,347 Reviews
Maui, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Sounds like a perfect start!! I would much rather get in an extra snorkel too. Glad you are enjoying your time!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
535 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Sounds like a great start! Isn't Honau Kai fabulous? :)

Mentioned in this post
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
712 Reviews
Maui, HI
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Sounds like a great 1st full day. Enjoy the rest of your trip and looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

What a wonderful way to start your vacation. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Glad you were able to get some snorkeling in. The crews are really good about finding spots when the ocean conditions aren't the best.

Level Contributor
37,740 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

You had me at "without any pressure to be anywhere most days." My kind of vacation! Thank you for the report back. :).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,971 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

We should change your screen name to HappyGirlMaui!! Sounds like a great start. Thanks for taking the time to do the report.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Trip Day 1 & 2

Thank you for sharing and looking forward to more! Glad you are having a great start to your Maui trip!

Aloha

Cindy

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii