We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

Hi all!

Let me preface this by saying I fully intended to take notes of things we did every day, but it just didn’t work out that way. After full day 3 (our Road to Hana day) things calmed down and turned into “Maui time.” Rest and relaxation all the way! I’ll probably split these up into days 1-2, day 3, and days 4-7. Days 4-7 will be a lot of where we ate and how much time we spent down at the pool!

So without further ado, Days 1-2!

Flights were uneventful. We arrived early from Phoenix and easily picked up our first rental car (more on that later… ugh) from Alamo – a black 2013 Hyundai Elantra! We made a pit stop to Costco for a memory card for the camera (yep, I officially forgot something), then headed to our condo at Honua Kai. We rented Hokulani 719 from Joe and Rhonda Devane. The studio unit was great! We had everything we needed and more! We ran over to Times for groceries and spent the remainder of the evening relaxing. DH fell asleep easily and I tossed and turned a bit. I think I was too excited to REALLY get this trip started!

Day 1 I was up at 4:30 am. No surprises there! DH slept past 8. Again, no surprises there! He could sleep 14 hours a day! At 6 or so I decided to head downstairs to Aina Market for a cinnamon roll per Mandy’s suggestion. Unfortunately it didn’t open until 7. I walked around a bit and then went back around 7. The cinnamon roll was worth the wait – so good!! When Ken finally woke up I decided we’d use our GyPSy app to find the blowhole. We had a nice drive north. It was sunny and I was excited to see things I’d researched. Finally we arrived and started the hike down. I wore flip flops. Not a good idea! I also am not a fan of heights. I chickened out about half way down but encouraged Ken to keep going. I think he was trying to be chivalrous and decided to stay with me. The blowhole wasn’t blowing very hard so we didn’t get much of a show, but it was still quite beautiful to see! Back in the car we went! We stopped at some other stops our GyPSy friend suggested, got to where the road heads towards Julia’s and decided 1 lane just wasn’t for me. By this point Ken was really hungry so we decided to try Gazebo. We only waited about 15 minutes in line (I think it was 10:30 am or so?). K had the French toast and I had pineapple pancakes and the side order of fried rice. My food was delicious! I had a ton leftover so we took it home. Ken said if we’d have had to wait more than 15 minutes he would have been disappointed. I guess he wasn’t a huge fan of the food. He’s picky!

After brunch/lunch we headed to Whaler’s Village to grab some sunglasses for DH. He quickly found a pair so we shopped around a bit for souvenirs for family. We ran back to the condo to relax at the pool. After a couple of hours in the sun I was starving and did NOT want to cook again. I mentioned Cool Cat’s to my husband and he was game. Front Street was pretty busy! There was some sort of street party going on. We were seated immediately indoors (the outside section had a wait) and the burgers and fries were delicious! We could hear the entertainment for the night and he was really great! Finally we decided to head home and pack the cooler for Hana. We enjoyed using the GyPSy app and felt confident it would be a good guide for Hana the next day!

Edited: 19 May 2014, 22:14
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

Aloha KikiB! So happy you are finally on Maui! Sounds like a wonderful beginning to your vacation!!! Can't wait to hear more!

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

Yay, great start. Can't wait to hear about your trip.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

Loving it so far; looking forward to more.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

Nice report Kiki. Happy for you that your trip is wonderful so far.......wondering about the rental car though! Looking forward to more.....Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

I'm anxiously waiting for more!! Thanks for reporting, Kiki.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

Thanks for sharing sounds like a good first couple days I have no problem sleeping here because I am usually exhausted by the end of the day.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

"We ran over to Times for groceries"... I love hearing that, doesn't it just feel like you live there?! Your trip sounds great so far, I'm glad you got past way down to the Blowhole and maybe you'll be adventurous to try it again someday, it's just amazing being down there! Enjoy another beautiful day!

~ littlered

Kentucky
Level Contributor
529 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

So glad you are having a great time :) And I am even more tickled you got a cinnamon roll. Oh, and did I mention my DH is Ken also? ha!! We are also renting through Rhonda and Joe, but will be in 613. We are Maui sisters ;) Can't wait to hear all about the rest of your trip and I am dying to know about your car rental situation! I couldn't sleep past 5:30 on Maui. I was just so excited to get up and see something new.

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

I have to get this app

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - a preface and Days 1-2!

Sounds like a great start to your vacation. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. Might have to talk the wife to going to Gazebo for breakfast on our next trip.