We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family must do's

so cal
Level Contributor
177 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
family must do's

I'm going to Maui, with my family, in the summer.

What are some things/ eats we MUST do while we're there? We'll be there for 10days. I have a 10 & 13 yr old.

I want to make this a trip of a lifetime (on a budget)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family must do's

Lahaina, beach and pool time. I would say unless yours love to hike I would skip Road to Hana. Mine were 15 and 12 and hated it. They would have rather been at the pool and beach.

Snorkling if that is something they like.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family must do's

My must do's generally are very different than other's must do's. What is it that you want to do? What is drawing you to Maui in the first place? Have you taken a look around this web-site? Click on "Things to do on Maui" which is located above? Where are you staying?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,271 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family must do's

Where are you staying? You will have a rental car, right? Some of the best things in Hawaii are free or close to it.

I would not miss the Maui Ocean center but I love aquariums.

Perhaps some surf lessons.

Snorkeling - either buy or rent gear . . . Maui has great snorkeling from shore, so you don't have to pay for a snorkel tour via boat, though you may wish to.

Go explore and go hiking in this amazing national park. http://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm

Perhaps a luau? If you have never been to Hawaii, it is a treat to me - entertainment & food all rolled into one - the best in the islands is on Maui - Old Lahaina Luau - if you book online, you will probably received a discount.

Try different beaches and have fun!! :)

Edited: 21 May 2014, 19:06
so cal
Level Contributor
177 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family must do's

My wife is entertaining the RTH.

I want to do a luau, for the kids (must have fire dancers)

I've been told Eskimo Candy is super yummy

Banyan Tree is on the list

Ululani is a must

Snorkeling & seeing turtles is a must

Ive gotten lots of disappointed reviews, from friends, about Atlantas Submarines.

I've posted in the past about specific things, but I want to hear from the all knowing TA forum for their wisdom

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family must do's

Must dos are so different for everyone depending on tastes. Where atlmom2's family hated RTH, mine were fine with it. I like to expose my kids to things they haven't seen elsewhere...Haleakala is one this that is cool..have your kids ever been above the clouds before?

My family loves beach and snorkel time...get out on a boat/snorkel tour.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,687 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family must do's

I am thinking your kiddos do not want to be in the car much when they can be on a beach. Or as So Cal kiddos, is that overrated for them? The beach and pool will be great for the budget as they are FREE! We are those crazy Alaskans that would complain when pools in Arizona, Washington and California would be closed in March, during our spring break vacations! Our kids loved the pools and ocean!

Fishdiva called it correctly. Everyone's must do's are so different! Best thing you can do is read trip reports, get a great guidebook and ask the family what their focus is for this vacation. Our daughter's fiancé spent too much time in museums on family vacations and he loves that a fantastic day for us can be frisbee on the beach, laid back cheap eats lunch and pool on the afternoon.

Reading trip reports will give you so much knowledge! Do searches for them and if there are blogs......wow, even better cause those have photos. I try to include photos I know will help new travelers find things, in my blog. Have fun planning!! Deb

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family must do's

Surfing lessons, beach time, pool time, walking around Front St in Lahaina, snorkeling, there's plenty to do.

Might add on the Nakalele Blowhole or La Perouse Bay. Stargazing at the Hyatt.

Don't over schedule yourself!

BTW, if you mean Banyan Tree restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton, that has closed.

Are you staying South or West? In South Maui, we like Kihei Cafe, Sugar Beach bake Shop,Da Local Banana, Ululani's, Kihei Caffe, Coconuts Fish Cafe, Outrigger Pizza, as well as Eskimo Candy.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 23:57
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family must do's

Take the kids to the Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt. Best hotel luau when kids are involved and has some great fire knife dancers.

I took two 14 year old boys on the Hana journey. They had a blast especially hiking the Pipiwai Trail and swimming at the pools of Oheo Gulch.

9. Re: family must do's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 05:17