We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 2 - Dining

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

Staying in a condo seemed to give us more momentum to go out and explore a more varied menu than we usually do in a resort, and I was armed with a bunch of TA recommendations for restaurants and BBQ recipes!

We found a bunch of nice local rubs and hot sauces at Tutu’s Pantry in one of the outdoor malls in Kihei and enjoyed grilling ribs, wings, and burgers at the condo. There were plenty of BBQs in the MK complex and I only wound up sharing grill space once. I have a “real” BBQ at home – no gas, but I felt the call of the gas grill while there – so easy!

We were entertained by the menu at Duo with the fish entrees ranging from $80-100 but didn’t stop to eat there – so not our speed! Here’s a brief rundown of places we did eat:

Gannon’s – went here the 1st night for HH and enjoyed the beautiful view as well as some nice kung pao calamari and…oh dear the memories are all running together – mushrooms and goat cheese I think. The place was overrun with drunken golfers who made it very loud even out on the patio.

Mama’s Fish House – I had to know if it is all hype or not, so took my wife here on Mother’s Day. Now I know it’s wonderful! Such an idyllic setting and such great service in our experience! Yes, expensive but nothing like Duo! Nice Kula caprese salad, Stuffed Mahi Mahi, 3 fish panang curry, mai tais and the pearl for dessert – oh baby it was good! Hung out at Ho’okipa watching the surfers afterwards.

Coconuts – ate lunch here 3-4 times. LOVE those fish tacos, they are insanely good! Also had the wasabi ahi burger which was very good. Biggest side of fries I have ever seen!

808 deli – when I wasn’t having lunch at Coconuts, I was here. Great staff and sandwiches. Trried to get to 808 bistro but didn’t happen as they are closed mid-day.

Café O’Lei – twice. Sushi the first time and an unmemorable sandwich for lunch the next. Good food, lackluster service. Insane Maui onion soup! The topping…that crouton that goes on top? Insanely sized pastry puff. Yummy!

Hali'imaile General Store – I loved the drive out there and the feel of the plantation house. Food was good, but didn’t wow me. Seafood Chowder had good flavors but was super thick like a bisque gone wrong.

Moose McGillicudy’s – great happy hour prices here, great view as well.

Kihei Caffe – had the papaya delight and banana mac pancakes and enjoyed them. Some of the other dishes coming out of the kitchen looked a bit weird though. Like a pile of fried rice topped with 2 eggs and gravy – some things I just can’t do for breakfast. Ginormous cinnamon rolls here though!

Maui Thai Bistro – meh. What can I say, I got tired of seafood!

Staying in the condo got us out more often and also saved a bunch of $$$ that we would have been dropping at the resort restaurants!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

Zack that pile of rice covered with eggs and gravy and probably a hamburger patty hiding under there also is the famed loco moco. My husband would not consider it a trip to Hawaii without having that at least once.

Only place we have eaten on your list is Kihei Caffe I am pretty sure he had the loco moco there.

Thanks for sharing your list with us probably the only place I wouldn't go is Mama's too pricey for us. Would like to try 808 Deli and get to Coconuts.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
424 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

Coconuts was a favorite stop of mine in our January trip, and I was bummed not get back last week. However, there is one in Scottsdale and it really isn't much different than the one in Kihei! :) Thanks for the run down!!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

You hit many of our favorites in South Maui. I LOVE the fish tacos at Coconuts. Kihei Caffe is awesome for an early morning meal that will last for hours. 808 Deli and Cafe O'Lei are my two favorites overall.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,843 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

"Oh baby it was good". Love that line the best. My husband and I were gifted a gift certificate for Mama's so I will be finding out first hand what all the fuss is about on our next trip. I can hardly wait!

Thanks for this review.... I need to go eat now!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

Glad you found some restaurants you enjoyed! I still have to make it to Coconuts...I just don't get down that way often..too easy to sit on. My butt than drive there!

I agree Mama's is wonderful. I am in the camp of loving it!

Thank you for continuing to share!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

Tutus Pantry is my favorite shop for souvenirs. all my friends and family get spices from there from us....she I run out. I H aVE to go back to Maui to get more spices....they tell me I don't have to come back I can order anytime online....ummm...I like my way better....thanks!

Have yet to try a lot of those restaurants but I will one of these days!

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that Coconuts had posters up looking for franchisees on the mainland in case anyone is feeling entrepreneurial

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

Oh Zack, you had my mouth watering..Island food.

I was thinking, "Way to go Zack ,you are into Maui eating" until you wrote

.."out of the kitchen looked a bit weird though. Like a pile of fried rice topped with 2 eggs and gravy – some things I just can’t do for breakfast." sorry but my DH would say that is just plain sacrilegious to call a loco moco"a bit weird."

I though every guy liked loco mocos. lol

California
Level Contributor
381 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

It's my new mission to make all of my trip reports as controversial as possible :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Part 2 – Dining

LOL...THAT is a funny comment Zach! Yes...a lot of guys including my husband drool over the Loco Moco.