We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gypsy Guide

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Gypsy Guide

What exactly is the "gypsy guide". I checked out the website and it seems to be a GPS with narration. Is that accurate? Is it a must have or just a 'nice to have' on the RTH?

I have a poor sense of direction and I don't want to worry about reading mile posts, especially with my daughter in the back seat. She asks a lot questions, which is good, but that can be distracting at times.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gypsy Guide

I've heard good things about it. For me it would be a "nice to have" sort of thing. The Hana Hwy. only goes in one direction but it can be a bit confusing where some of the turn offs would be to such places like Keanae. If you have the few extra bucks it could come in handy!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gypsy Guide

Perhaps I don't have the best perspective since I've only used GyPSy guide on Oahu. But, it absolutely made my trip. It was my 4th trip there but I explored and learned more than I had on the other trips combined.

Since it uses GPS you don't have to do anything but drive. You described it pretty accurately as a GPS with narration. But the narration was spectacular. The app was a few bucks so it was worth the risk to try it. And once we tried it we used it on all of our island adventures. The guide has great info, recommendations, and better info than I've ever heard from a tour guide. And I've had some great guides.

I'm just planning my Maui trip so hopefully someone else can offer their perspective. But I'm definitely planning on using it.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 01:46
Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
419 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gypsy Guide

I had it on my iPhone and I chose to download the Full Island Tour App not just RTH. It gave nice narration up to the blowhole, history of Lahiana, etc. We only made it as far as the Rainbow Eucalyptus tree on the RTH, but it did make note of different areas for stopping you may not have seen a sign or known about otherwise. We found it useful, hope you will too!

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gypsy Guide

We also downloaded the full Maui tour on the Gypsy app. It was soooo worth it! My husband and I got out there and saw so much more than we had on our previous trips to Maui. We loved having it for the road to Hana as well as for finding the Nakalele blowhole. It absolutely is a GPS with narration, but I would consider it a must have!

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
146 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gypsy Guide

Hi there, I was in Hawaii September and October last year. I spent time on both Maui and Oahu and purchased and used the full island tours for both. They were fantastic. Well worth the money and cheaper than paying for bus tours. It's an app you buy for iPhone on the App Store. It uses GPS so it doesn't chew data and is basically a narrated tour that tells you where to go, where to turn and where to stop. It even gives you little bits of interesting info between stops when you are on the longer stretches.

The major advantage of having these guides is you can take your time and spend as much time as you want on each stop, or even miss stops all together if you have done it before or are not interested. I loved using the guided Haleakela tour. It talked about the science behind volcanoes and the formation of the mountain, all about the state bird the nene and how it was saved from extinction, and much much more. I thought the gypsy guides really made my trip just that extra bit better! I still have them installed on my phone in hope that I may get to go back soon ;) if you need to know anything more specific, please PM me!

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
428 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gypsy Guide

QUestion about Gypsy. We are going to Maui and are not going to do the Road to Hana or the road to Haleakala. Any point in getting it if we are not going to do those two things?

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gypsy Guide

I just brought this..Thanks for the tips.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gypsy Guide

Well, that settles it..I didn't know that the Gypsy Guide worked so well on the iPhone. I currently use an LG G2 android phone, my iPhone 4s is no longer activated, but according to the Gypsy Guide site, I don't need phone service to operate it. It sounds well worth the $9.99 price.

Thank you, everyone.. This forum is the best!

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gypsy Guide

We purchased the full island tour and we used it pretty much exclusively on our trip 3 weeks ago (sob! I'm sad it's over!!). I loved it! Sometimes the narration can be a bit cheesy (like the lady who belches when you're driving the "faster road" from Wailea through Kihei), but otherwise it was awesome!!

United States
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gypsy Guide

A big thank you to all our reviewers and the DE’s for your support. We usually try and stay out of the forums and let the reviews speak for themselves, but for this post especially we were blushing and cheering in our offices!

Glad to hear so many people are enjoying our product (whether it’s in Hawaii, Canada or mainland US).

We have produced a new [cheesy ;) ] video to help explain what our product is and does - http://youtu.be/nqsg75tCpxQ

and just some final tips for anyone using the app version of the guides

- Available in iTunes and GooglePlay stores (iPhone and Android)

- Our guides don’t require any data or roaming, make sure both are turned OFF, but airplane mode is also OFF (that controls the gps signal)

- Make sure you bring along an AUX cable so you can play the commentary through the car stereo

- and, bring a charger as the gps signal chews up your battery

Watch for new locations coming out soon - we’ll post on our FB page.

and thanks again for all your comments and support.

Warm regards

GyPSy Guides

ps. We love that many people give their GyPSy Guide a unique ‘name’, the list is getting quite long!

Edited: 30 May 2014, 17:24