We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

Enjoying my coffee on the lanai with the sounds of the waves and birds chirping "good morning".

Nice flight on Alaska Airlines, arrived a bit early. I used my $99 companion certificate to purchase an empty middle seat. Very nice to have that extra space on long flights. Quick in and out at Alamo then off for the 20 minute drive to Maalaea. Sun shining; breezes blowing.

After bouncing around different condos and cottages over the years we have settled on Kanai a Nalu as our favorite place to stay. First time in this unit, which we rented from Bello Realty.

The owners do most of their own bookings, but Bello is their on-island agent and I am loyal to them from past good service.

Here is the vrbo listing by owner, which has better photos:

www.vrbo.com/404563

(Will continue with next post so this doesn't get too long or I accidently delete)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,955 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

I am so glad you are finally there Barbara! I never would have thought to buy an empty seat like that! It would be very handy on a red eye flight, heading back home. Do you get two carry on pieces then too?

2. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 17:15
3. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 17:15
Edited: 30 May 2014, 17:15
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

If you looked at the vrbo link you will see how very close we are to the water. I have already reviewed the tsunami evacuation route...just in case! The beach directly out front is the far end of Sugar Beach, which starts in front of this condo complex. The sand comes and goes a bit with the tide. An ambitious person could walk along the beach for 4 miles, to North Kihei.

Because of the curve of the island the condos along Maalaea Bay look due south. I am staring at the red cinder cone of Makena as I type. Haleakala is off to my left, with great views of the small towns on the slopes and the condos and hotels of Kihei and Wailea below. Magical at night, with twinkling lights.

The downside is that we don't get a clear view of either sunrise or sunset, however the colors change in the sky and on the land and that is enough for us.

Our first full day we had several little errands to run. I forgot my laptop mouse so Office Max was our first stop. Then down to Kihei for the Farmers market, ABC store, Sugar Beach bakery, Longs, and Foodland.

Did not buy anything at the bakery. Exact same cinnamon rolls and fruit pasteries as we bought at Maalaea General Store upon arrival; guess they use the same source for some items.

Shopping at Foodland was special this time. I had cashed in some lingering Hawaiian Airlines miles for Foodland certificates worth $125. Free food!!

We accomplished all of our running around early and were back "home" by 10:30 am. Spent the rest of the day on the large, lush lawn making those hard choices: pool or ocean? sun or shade? Wandered over to the little craft fair at Harbor Shops around closing time then stopped at our local Tradewinds Deli for gourmet hot dogs and beer to go. A perfect day!

We came with lots of plans for restaurants and day trips, but now that we are here nothing seems as appealing as sitting oceanfront with our books and binoculars, and dipping in the water now and then.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,955 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

That last paragraph is the BEST! Love having those kinds of problems.

I didn't realize that you could use Hawaiian Airlilne miles for food!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

Yay! Your trip sounds like its off to a great start (other than the forgotten mouse). I love that you got free food at Foodland with your Hawaiian miles. And I looked at the Vrbo link you provided - the condo you chose looks fantastic! I am looking forward to more TR's from you!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

Oh Barbara, the last post about lots of plans, but just wanting to stick close and be relaxed rings so true with me. I am delighted you and your sis are finally back in your favorite place. That is a wonderful condo and if I were smart, I would bookmark it for the future. I need to get more vigilant about bookmarking really amazing deals for a future when we are a little more retired. I was happy to see this report and look forward to more! Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

Great start Barbara!! I too looked at those condo pictures, WOW, I think that could be one of the best views ever, you get the ocean and the mountains. I'll be looking forward to your reports.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

Now that is ocean front! Beautiful views! Glad you are soaking it in!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Pt 1: Sisters Return to Maui

Wow great condo and a terrific rate for 2 bdrms. Isn't it a relief to settle on a favourite home away from home?

Converting airline points to food is genius! We traded piddly lingering points for $50 Air Canada duty free and $100 Costco gift card last year so ours wound up as mostly liquid refreshment.

Have a wonderful sister trip.