We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

Come join us on our last night on island -- have to wing off to the mainland tomorrow for some graduations, before heading back..

Should be a fun night - $5-cover, which all goes to Mr. Kahaialii's charity.. Oh, and don't forget to wish Jack Starr, Kimo's director of Aloha, a very happy birthday, & congratulate him on his three-decades of stellar service to the fine folks at TS Restaurants.. ;)

Alo)(a, NKO

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

Have a great time tonight NKO. Love Uncle Willie!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

NKO,

I wish...:( Beautiful here in the Bay Area....safe travels...

Babs

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

We have yet to see a live show other than at a luau in HA. Sounds like a lot of fun. Wish we could be there!

Have fun mr. Nko

(It's our last nite in Cali, too)

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
289 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

IF ONLY we were there! Happy Birthday Uncle Jack! Love to eat all your restaurants! Need to check the schedule where Willie's coming to the BA

Edited: 31 May 2014, 02:53
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

Look at all my East Bay brethren ova' hea'!? (Billy - enjoy that last Cali evening, Mr. Shears - & Joan have family [NKO] in the east bay as well! ; ) If you've been in P-town for awhile, Alohagurl, I've no doubt our paths have crossed on 'da mainland.. ;) DHS grad, & mostly float between Dublin & Alamo when not on island -- hey, I'm a born nomad/vagabond .. what can I say!? Babs, nice to hear that I'll be wingin' into pleasant climate - that takes a teency bit of the sting outta leaving Maui soil.. :'(

I'll make sure to wish 'Mr. Aloha' a major happy bday (well, he was off on actual bday, so tonight's the Kimo's crew celebration..) from all the TA Maui fam-bam.. If anyone makes it, Jack & I could actually almost be twin brothers, so look for the bald dude with the Rudolph nose, accompanied by his much prettier & very tan/tall travel compatriot/Uke carrier.

Keep it pono folks.. :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

NKO, I'm assuming you are not vertical yet, but when you DO start your day, and you see this, I would love to hear about your evening, and how it went. Lots of people there I hope!

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

I second joan

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

Oh yes Mr. NKO.....looking for details please! Deb

P.S. Hi Billy!!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

It wasn't crowded at all, the slowest I've ever seen it for a Willie K show at Kimo's which was great because it was so warm with no breeze. Got there around 8:30 and got a seat no problem, the band was already set up, which I commented was weird and it seemed like Willie had a strange vibe but I couldn't figure it out? After a first long jam, he said a good friend passed away yesterday, I forget his name but Willie said he's played with him all over Maui and he's been at Willie's Blues Fest. Willie dedicated the next blues song to him and you could tell he was upset but I felt it was one of the best Willie K sets I've seen in a long time!! Got an order of fish and chips and the fish was great!!

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uncle Willie K - Kimo's tonight..

And so we see how the fine folks hailing from NorCal usually have each other's backs. Bazza summed up the evening quite nicely indeed.

It got a bit deep at the corner of the bar, when a group of rude, inebriated 'wobblers' attempted to completely obscure the sightlines of all the fine folk who arrived hours early to steak their claim, but it was very comfortable on the lanai and I retained both my politeness and aloha as I grudgingly moved the juiced-up view-blockers on to alternate viewing locations. As my Tahoe pal indicated, this was about as sparsely populated as I've seen the lanai on a Willie K Friday -- in spite of said well-lubed wobblers..

The bar held mostly local re-plants & the evening began with an emotional jam, as Bazaa indicated, which was dedicated to local Maui harp player & blues artist, Bobby (last name escapes me [?] ) & undulated into a straight (no-break ... in typical WK fashion) 2hr set that had the entire crowd rockin away & banging their hands in appreciation -- even (notoriously stoic) Avi Ronen was grinning ear-to-ear as he jammed away the fill solos! :)

Willie seemed to appreciate his new (I've never seen it, anyway..) Silverburst Telecaster ... with several jams of particular note including: "Moloka'i woman" & two Jimi tunes, "Voodoo Chile" & Mr. Kahaialii's favorite, "Waterfall.." I'm pretty good, but that dude can flat out jam on the 6-stringer! ;)

As i ready the Villa for our departure -- knowing I'll be back before my Nickybeans kona beans lose their kick, I'm reflecting on an amazing evening to end another active & memorable island stint.. ;)

See y'all soon, & alo)(a...