We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Day 5

We got rained out for our helicopter tour again and could not reschedule since we were leaving tomorrow and no times available.

We decided to drive to south Maui again. We met my daughter and sat on a beach in Makena, (stopped along the way and got another one of those great sandwiches from our favorite cafe in Kihei. The waves were rough so we couldn't snorkel, we just enjoyed the view and beach. I could have sat there all day.

That evening we ate at Kimo's again. My husband got the steak and I got the swordfish. Delicious. We also got the lava dessert free because we were there the day before. The four of us devoured it!

Day 6, last day

Packing up is sad. We got everything packed and checked out of the condo, then headed north to blow hole. That was really cool to see. My daughter and her husband walked down to see the heart shaped rock. I figured if I tried to walk down there I'd be taking a trip to the emergency room! So my husband and I just enjoyed the view from above. She took a picture of her and her husband by the heart rock and is making it into a picture to announce something special! She wants to wait until she is 3 months pregnant (two more weeks) and she's going to post the picture announcement. shhhh, I'm not supposed to tell anyone, so please keep my secret! (thank goodness she's not a member of this sight!)

On the way back from the drive we stopped and watched some locals carve wood. We bought a couple tokens from them. Hey, I don't like to buy junk from China, so I loved that we supported the locals.

Ate at the Maui brewery. Had a great burger. Stopped in Lahaina and walked around again, headed east towards the airport, took our time. Stopped and picked up a case of Pineapple from Mr. Pineapple to bring home. Then sadly returned our rental, and made dreaded trip to the airport. Then the worst part of our vacation, the 11 hour flight home.

But I can say, this was the best vacation my husband and I have ever had. It was so worth the two years saving to see such an amazing place. I have put pictures in my office making all my co workers jealous and wanting to go!

Thanks everyone for all your advice in helping to make this bucket list item checked.

Watch for my pictures to be posted

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,466 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Oh how wonderful!!! Great news...I will keep your secret!!!. How fabulous that this was your best trip! I love it when others come and find the same joy I get there!!! Congrats again on the announcement!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Sue, I enjoyed each of your posts. We are getting back into the visit Maui mode, and you definitely helped! I envy you the snorkeling - with my water fears, the pool at the GH spa is as brave as I get.... We hope you return soon to beautiful Hawaii!

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Congrats on the grandchild...We are also saving for tis trip and leaving in 2 weeks.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Great posts! And congrats to you all on the "announcement"! I read the other post where you got dunked snorkeling and did laugh out loud because I had a total visual due to your description. We've all been there...

Indy
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

awesome! so glad you enjoyed. great news too!

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

thanks everyone. and I am very excited about the grandchild. This will be our first, so that makes it more exciting. Due December 25!

and Babs, I realize it very well could have been serious on the snorkeling, but all turned out well so I can laugh too. I don't think hubby would have let me drown, - he would have yelled for someone to help, but I will try snorkeling again, but because of how great it was.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Congratulations grandma, we won't tell a soul. Thanks for sharing your trip with us, glad we could come along for the great ride!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Happy happy for your family! I gave loved reading your trip reports and your spirit and joy on this vacation was endearing and lovely! Such a long way for you to travel. I hope you are able to return sooner rather than later. Thanks so much for sharing and I am saving the photos for at home on my desktop! Deb

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Thanks you for sharing your trip and the Grandbaby news with us. Leaving sad. I glad you felt the trip was worth the travel and saving to get there.

Now to look at the pic.

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 5 & 6 - the last day

Anyone is welcome to save any of my pictures, I know I have saved my share. If anyone wants a full size to print, pm me your email and I'll be happy to share. some of the pics are amazing. My favorites are the view of the sunsets from our lanai and the black sand beach.