We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

I'm asking for a friend that is trying to help another friend get to Maui this Aug. If you could only choose to stay at one of these properties, which would be the best choice? Pros and Cons of both please.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,784 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Well, the biggest difference is that Papakea is Oceanfront--and Banyan is across the street. For that alone, I would choose Papakea.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Me too. And the parking seems very inconvenient at the Banyon. We had friends staying there and we could never find any parking in the four or so times we picked them up. They enjoyed their stay very much and the location, but for me, I choose the oceanfront option. Not a priority for everyone but we find such joy and relaxation in seeing that ocean every minute we are at the condo. And we have now been to Maui enough that we spend more time relaxing at the condo than new travelers might. Deb

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Thank SW and Letsgo! That is what I told my friend. She agreed that being on the ocean is better. I plan all our vacations, so she was looking for my input. I've been to Maui 6 times, but all have been in hotels. Not very familiar with the condos yet. Next trip will be a condo, which will be next year. Can't wait! :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Banyan is sort of squeezed onto its' property too. Some of the units are nicely updated though.

Maybe you'd look here for aerials views and reviews: www.hawaiirevealed.com

Does it have to be an Aston condo? Can she look on vrbo.com?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Yes Chisue, it has to be Ashton. Not my first choice, but my friend is using her Interval Getaway for her friend. She has a certain week she can travel, so these are the 2 properties that are available for their time frame. They like to snorkel and hike, so they probably will not be in the unit but to sleep. And I believe this is their first time to Maui, so I'm sure they will be out exploring as well.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Papakea gets my vote! Make sure she knows about the Kapalua Coastal Trail. They won't be far from there if they stay west.

Rural Valley, PA
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Papakea Building L, take my advice, you will not find better sunset views anywhere on Maui! Check out my pictures I just posted. The sunsets were all from our lanai

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

Can't speak for Maui Banyan. But my parents have stayed at Papakea for many years, and I for most of the last 14 -- we have been very happy there, staying in several different units. We've found it comfortable, beautiful, and convenient to most of the things we like to do.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

""Does it have to be an Aston condo? Can she look on vrbo.com?''

Just an FYI as it doesn't pertain to this situation, but there are MANY vrbo listings for Papakea.

It's not even close between the two. A friend loves the Banyan, visited him there. Didn't get it. Quite removed from the water for the basically the same prices as Papakea.

With all due respect PA, ALL of the three ocean front bdlg's have exactly the same view and many of the ocean view bdlg's have views almost more interesting through the palms out to Moloka'i. Check out google images. One of the more unique aspects of Papakea is how it's laid out. ca 80% of the units have a view that includes water.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 00:33
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,386 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ashton at Maui Banyan vs Aston at Papakea Resort

I would not hesitate to stay at the Papakea. Know people who stay there and trust their opinion greatly.