We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please describe areas where hotels are located

Imperial Beach CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Please describe areas where hotels are located

Hoping someone may be able to give a brief synopsis of the general areas that hotels seem to be concentrated (e.g. Lahaina, Wailea, etc.). Looking for descriptions of area based on serenity, food options, beaches, upscale/low-key, etc.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

Johnsonggypsies. The answer to your question is contained in this thread. Read the 1st couple of posts. Then it would be a good idea to start your own thread for individual attention.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

Your question was answered in the first 4 posts with great descriptions. Some of us regular devotees enjoy one area more than the other! Imagine that, but you now get to go and decide yourself. Trust me it's a wonderful journey.

Boston...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

Only two buildings north of Black Rock were built in the last 25 years: Honua Kai and Kaanapali Ocean Villas.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

Agree with fishdiva, Johnsongypsies. :) And keep in mind that the opinion expressed about south Maui is but one opinion. In July, I would strongly suggest you also look in West Maui at Napili Bay area, or Kapalua villas, Honoua Kai, or Maui Kaanapali Villas among others :)

Dave

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

Yes, Johnsongypsies-do start your own thread!

Give us as many details as you care to share, like when, how many, how long, what ages, what interests, etc. There are many, many places all over Maui at which you can stay-some built many moons ago, some newer, some rural, some "city"-ish, some "country"-ish. There's no shortage of accommodations.

26. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 03:05
Edited: 08 June 2014, 03:05
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,515 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

Actually Bazza, as you well know, I am a Kapalua lover. However, continuing to attack people on here as well as posting about getting deleted is against TA rules so that is probably why you get deleted. If you just gave your advice, as you once did, there would be no problem. There is one owner that there were issues with..that's it. Get over it. People can love and stay where they want. What gets old is when people give inaccurate info to sway people to stay where they love to stay. Everyone should just get the knowledge to make there own decision about what would be a good fit for them. It's too bead you came home from 6 months feeling so angry. I would think you felt at peace. What is the problem?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,098 posts
1,285 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

Bazza99,

Predicated on the recent post about a "condo," I was thinking about Kihei, though I have never stayed there, and do not own any property there. However, I have many friends, who have rented there, and enjoyed many aspects of the area.

We have almost always stayed in the Ka`anapali Area, up to Kapalua (exception has been in Paia), over the last 35 years. While I do have friends with condos in the Ka`anapali Area, the bulk seem to be down in Kihei, for the better, or the worse. Though they are friends, I have never stayed at any of their properties.

I am not at all sure about the others, who have commented on this thread, but cannot find fault with their comments. Maybe you know something, to which I am just not privy?

Now, I have great friends, who DID stay in Kihei, and found the area to be "over developed," wanting more seclusion, but then they stay in tree houses in Costa Rica, so any commercial developments are seen as a blight on the landscape. Just a difference in opinion, as I see it.

It seems that you might be too harsh on others, just offering their opinions, or maybe I am just naïve. Are you sure that they ALL own property in Kihei?

Hunt

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

I'm not attacking anyone, I just hate when people give false information. I'm also not angry as a matter of fact I had a great day in Tahoe today, I did a 7 mile hike with beautiful views of the lake in the morning and then kayaked to Sand Harbor in the afternoon and I'm on my way to a Welcome Home Party (for me) with about 20 friends. I don't know how you can judge someone's mood by their posts?

Plus, I'm trying to rearrange my schedule so I can make it to the TA party in September!!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Please describe areas where hotels are located

Totally agree tb4 I have never stayed in Kihei only west side Napili and Honokowai I think I post on here quite regularly and I just try to share with the posters what I like about where I stay, but I don't put other areas down or other people that prefer to stay in the other areas of Maui there's room enough for everyone.