We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September 6th TripAdvisor get together

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
September 6th TripAdvisor get together

We decided to start a new thread to work out the logistics of a get together of us TA users there in early September. We can use this to bounce around ideas and make plans. So far we have 3 options.

1. Meeting at a nice watering hole Like Duke's, Maui Brewing, etc.

2. A potluck / BBQ at a nice beach park.

3.(My favorite) If JOan123 relieves the government of Canada of some lottery funds we throw her a nice house warming party. I already call dibs on the lanai lounge to sleep off the libations.

I'm hoping some of the locals and local DE's will help with ideas for this as well as attend. I know we'd all love to meet and thank them for all they do for us annoying tourists.

Lastly I want to apologize to all the other September visitors who's dates don't match up with this one. It's usually the one drawback to setting these up. But I did notice it seems like there is another big group around the third week. Maybe those of you there then can arrange one for yourselves? They are fun. And feel free to steal any of our ideas we come up with. Well except for maybe the party at JOan123's new condo. Two parties maybe a bit much. ;-)

Trilogy Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

Dreamin...I'm in, for whatever! We are stayin south but Letsgo said she's driving...:)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

Thanks for the new thread Dreamin' and I am a vote for a beach park, even though it is a Saturday. There had been concern that it was Labor Day week-end, but I knew it was not or I would still be working and not having a blast on a Maui!

I know we need room and parking and do not want to crowd the residents out on a Saturday. I might suggest DT Fleming, but admit while my knowledge of the west side is growing, but it is still limited. As a DD for life, I can drive anywhere anytime and will happily bundle up my south side crew to meet TA folks on the west side......without running over any feet.

I echo Dreamin' that I am sorry everyone cannot make it. This sounds like such a fun afternoon! Having met a few TA friends, I can tell you that it felt like meeting family. When you know about people through words first, that is powerful. And the friendships can be real and special. In a week we will be celebrating our daughter's wedding, with five very treasured TA friends. Deb

P.S. I like the idea of potluck, unless Joan is a big winner!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

If we want to do a picnic/BBQ I was thinking of Kahekili Beach Park. But really that's the only one I know other than D.T.Fleming which is quite a drive for the south group. Maybe the someone local can let us know if the pavilions at Kahekili are reservable or first come first serve.

Just going over Google maps it looks like there is a few others but I have only driven by them. There's Honokowai park but I know it's small and doesn't have a lot of parking and I don't know about tables and such. There's Hanakao`o park but if I remember right that one is very heavily used by locals on Saturdays. There is also Wahikuli park north of Lahaina and Launiupoko park south of Lahaina. Anyone with info on these is much appreciated.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

Yep Deb, Labor Day is the 1st. Maybe everyone will be picniced out and we'll have a nice park all to ourselves? I know, wishful thinking.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

I learned today, that Kahekili Park is actually privately owned. And you can rent the pavilion. I am not having much success finding a website to confirm that, and how much it would cost.

Hoping it may be a moot point tomorrow night anyway. I really like choice #3 the best! And in Canada, we get to keep ALL the money. No taxes have to be paid on lottery winnings!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

www.co.maui.hi.us/Facilities?clear=False

I found a list of all the County parks in West Maui. Kahekili is not a County Park either. But there are some other options here. I like the website, as it tells you what facilities there are at each park, including parking!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

Oh damn, we don't get there until 8th and then leave on POA on 13th, back on 20th and leave again on 22nd, would have loved to participate.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

Was going to suggest happy hour at the Sea House which has the huge advantage that I could walk to it :) ha ha but maybe tough parking? But a beach park or anywhere is fine with us.

Dave

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

Yes Joan Kahekili seems to be an enigma as to it's ownership and contact info if any. I'm hoping sw or jimgloria can shed some light on this for us.

Dave, I've never been to the Sea House. Is there room there for 15-20 where we sit together and not be at separate tables?

KazAllen that is a bummer. Like I said that's the one thing that is tough about things like this.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
794 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September 6th TripAdvisor get together

Darn, we won't be there till Oct. I want pictures, lots of pictures.! Oh yeah, Deb will be there so there will be :):)

Patty