We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Pool

los angeles
1 post
Save Topic
Blue Pool

What a joke. We got all the way down to the end of the trail to find a fake sign that said blue pool was a hoax and that it did not exist. I wish I would have read some of the postings and ignored the signs obviously put up by the locals. What a waste of time.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
483 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Pool

I do not understand your posting. Obviously you drove down the road and did see the signs that "yes" have been put up by locals. So what did you do, ignore the sign, or just turned around?

As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this waterfall (I am a photographer) I will pass. Trespassing I will NOT do.

Chicago
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Pool

My wife and I stopped at Blue Pool and it was well worth it (one of my favorites on the way to Hana). When we went down the land owner was standing at the end of the road telling us that tresspassing on his land was illegal. He then smiled and pointed the way, but then repeated that we were tresspassing, we were confused, but he kind of lead the way for us. We ended up talking to him for quite a while, a very nice man who just wants to protect himself from lawsuits. He said he has had many people blow through there ever since "Maui Revealed" outed this spot that were disrepsectful and just plain rude. (if he didn't want anyone there, why would he have a mailbox setup for people to pay to park???)

Granted, this was over a year ago, so perhaps he changed his views. But the Blue pool does exist, and it is indeed one of the better spots to stop at.

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
502 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Pool

I think the landowners were nice and accommodated people with aloha for as long as they could, but it's gotten to be too much. It's sad that they feel they need to trick people by saying the pool is not there (if that's what's going on) but it's also sad that a lot of people do not pay attention to "no trespassing" or "kapu" signs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Pool

My husband and I just returned and we attempted the Blue Pool. It is amazing how much we didn't seem wanted there. There must have been a no trespassing signs on every tree. We walked in a bit but then seeing as we were the only ones there at that point got a bit creeped out and worried that some crazed land owner would come out that we left.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Pool

"Crazed landowner", who simply didn't want you on his property. How dare they..This really is getting to me. Would folks ignore these signs on the Mainland?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
432 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Pool

Well…we went to the Blue pool…really wasn’t a must see…they did have a sign up saying it didn’t exist…but there were 2 little boys directing traffic, selling fruit and charging to park on their land ($2) which we did… we probably wouldn’t have went on out of respect…but they said it was fine to park there…no worries…

Amy

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Pool

This may be a stupid question but is it indeed private land you have to cross? I know here in Michigan some folks have staked out state land with no tresspassing signs to keep hunters out.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
432 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Pool

I have no idea. I’m sure where we parked was private property, thus the $2… the road we were driving on? The actual beach? I know a couple of the hikes to falls we did, the water rights were owned by ARI…AHI?? I heard that the beaches are all state owned…meaning ANYONE can use them???? Not sure though…that was just hear -say!

Amy

Antioch, CA
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Pool

We went to to the Blue Pool last week. we saw the sign and ignored it along with the other bunch of people. It was worth seeing.

The pool was really crowded.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Pool

This is the update by the folks who wrote Maui Revealed. We don't know what the truth is. When we leave this Thursday for our trip, we won't be visiting Blue Pool. There are plenty of other pools and waterfalls, so we choose not to add fuel to this fire.

Blue Pool Update (page 90): There seems to be some confusion down at the end of the road at Blue Pool and we're getting e-mails from readers who are being harassed. Here's the scoop. Contrary to what the County of Maui told us, the last portion of Ulaino Road is apparently private. In fact, it's one giant parcel with literally dozens of owners. Some of the owners are welcoming you to use their land, as evidenced by their signs inviting you to park for a fee. Some of their fellow owners (or perhaps non-owning residents, we aren't sure) aren't as welcoming. There may be someone at the end of the road barring access despite the fact presumed fellow owners are inviting you via a parking fee. Then there's the fact that this waterfall has been used since the 1940s by the public, thereby creating a historical custom of public access. It has appeared in guidebooks long before ours ever hit the press for the first time, yet oddly we seem to have been credited for "discovering and revealing" Blue Pool. This is not the case. We don't know how to advise you since some of the owners want you there and some don't, yet it's a single parcel of land. It's obviously an intra-owner squabble and we don't want you to get in the crossfire (so to speak). Use your best judgement. If the invitation of some of the owners isn't enough to make you comfortable, then you should probably avoid it. There are plenty of other attractions on Maui to keep you smiling.