We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo or hotel with kitchen

San Antonio
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Condo or hotel with kitchen

I'm going to Maui in August with my 23 and 27 year old kids. We are looking for a beachfront condo or a hotel that has a kitchen. We would like to be a nice, sandy beach with the actual entrance into the water to not be full of rocks. Also, we would like to be close to a grocery. I was in Maui about 25 years ago and stayed in the Kaanapali (spelling) area at the Maui Marriott. I am confused as to which part of Maui would be best and which condo would be best. My head is spinning. Please help with suggestions. Thanks ahead of time!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

You could stay on Napili Bay at Napili Kai. Also the "The Napili Bay" condos are nice and right on the sandy beach but might be too small for three adults. I stayed at Kihei Surfside on the south side of Maui and you just walk across the parking lot to a sandy beach, ocean view. Have you looked at Maui Revealed online ( wizard publishing"? It has maps and pictures of all the condos in Maui. I found it very helpful. I don't know the Kaanapali area, except I have been inn the area to go on a boat ride and to go to the doctor, it is more built up than I prefer, but a lot of people would not stay anywhere else. Anyway, my favorite sandy beaches with Condos right in front of them are Napili Bay and Keawakaupu. There is also a nice beach in front of the Makena Surf, and the Polo Beach Club, and Wailea Elua, but those have always been out of my price range. Those three properties are far nicer than the ones I have stayed at. For reliably good beach going every day, Napili would be my pick. Also, there are webcams you can check out during the day to see the different beaches. ( Napili Sunset condos have a webcam, and there are others).

Edited: 08 June 2014, 08:50
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

A bit more information would help us guide you.

What is your budget per night? Are you looking for a 3 bedroom condo? If you are, that narrows the list of possibilities greatly. Do you want a quiet area or do you want to be near restaurants and shops? What kinds of activities are important to you?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

The place to start is what is your budget and do your kids want any nightlife close by.

Here is the resource that OregonJemmy mentioned, Maui Revealed.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Level Contributor
35,471 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

Honua Kai was perfect for our family of 4! We had a two bedroom unit in the Konea Tower. :).

Edited: 08 June 2014, 17:25
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,567 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

We loved staying at Honua Kai too, as Syrahgirl did. I'm guessing you have looked at it and ruled it out, though, since you mention that you don't want a rocky entry into the water at the beach out front.

If that is the case, one place I'd suggest you look at is Maui Ka'anapali Villas. They are south of Honua Kai and north of Black Rock on a gorgeous sandy beach. You have reef and wonderful snorkeling a short walk or swim in either direction. And Whalers Village, Black Rock, catamaran sails, and all the action of Ka'anapali are a short walk, or a shuttle ride away.

You can rent a category of unit through Aston, or choose your specific condo by renting from the owner, usually through a management company. Start by looking on VRBO for best prices or on the Aston website for more flexibility in booking.

Ocean conditions in summer are more likely (no guarantees) to be calm in West Maui than in South Maui. Also, be aware that some condos do not have air-conditioning. Surfside is one of those, for most units anyway.

I think Napili Kai would be very nice too. I always check their prices, though and the ocean front updated units are out of my price range. Maybe some day...

Edited: 08 June 2014, 17:52
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

There is no "best area" of Maui just different. Without knowing your nightly accommodations budget it would be hard to suggest anything.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

MOST important: Have you reserved a car for airport pickup? Summer is *busy*!

Tell us how much space you need, for how long, and what you want to pay for it. What do you want to do on Maui beyond hitting the beach in front of your lodging?

Edited: 08 June 2014, 23:34
San Antonio
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

Thank you! Gave me a lot to look into!

9. Re: Condo or hotel with kitchen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:16